News & Public Notices
Notice of intention to pass a bylaw to designate 965 Sydenham Rd., 1572 Sunnyside Rd. and 974 Sydenham Rd. to be of cultural heritage value and interest
January 16, 2018 -
Pursuant to the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18)
Take notice that the council of The Corporation of the City of Kingston intends to pass bylaws under Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18, to designate the following lands to be of cultural heritage value and interest:
965 Sydenham Rd. (Part Lot 15, Concession 3, Part Lot A W of Loughborough Road, Plan 60; Block D N of Lot 10 W of Loughborough Road, Plan 60; Part Lot 10 W of Loughborough Road, Plan 60 as in FR128302, TKD26 & TKB266; Description may be acceptable in future as in TKB266, TDK26, FR128302; Roads and Streets Wolfe Island; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Cataraqui United Church and Cemetery.
The property, locally known as Cataraqui United Church and Cemetery, includes a good example of a Gothic Revival-style red brick church building with limestone detailing and foundation. The church was designed by well-known local architectural firm, Power & Son, in 1881. The cemetery includes a number of grave markers dating as early as 1809, which contains the remains of some of the early pioneering families of the former Kingston Township. The property has direct association with the history of the Methodist Church in Kingston and its distinctive architecture makes the Cataraqui United Church a landmark.
1572 Sunnyside Rd. (Part Lot 22, Concession 4, Being Part 1 on Reference Plan 13R-21497, former Township of Kingston, now City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Powley Farmstead.
The Powley Farmstead contains a good example of an early 19th century one-and-a-half storey limestone farmhouse and the remains of a wood and limestone barn. It is associated with the Powley family who were early United Empire Loyalist settlers in the former Kingston Township. The Powley family built the house and owned the property for over 100 years.
974 Sydenham Rd. (Part Lot 16, Concession 3, Kingston as in TKE603, City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Christ Church and Anglican Cemetery.
The Christ Church and Anglican Cemetery property includes an excellent example of a Gothic Revival style limestone church built in 1869. The bell-tower and western addition were added in 1877. The church has associative value with well-known local architectural firm, Power & Son, who designed the building and addition. The Anglican Cemetery represents the traditional form of burial grounds based on a grid pattern and part of a religious complex. The burials date from the mid-1870s. The property is also associated with the Church of England and the history of burial practices in Kingston in the mid-19th century. It is a landmark on Sydenham Road.
Additional information, including a full description of the reasons for designation is available upon request from Ryan Leary, senior heritage planner, planning, building & licensing services at 613-546-4291, ext.3233, or at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.
Any notice of objection, setting out the reason for objection and all relevant facts, must be served upon the City clerk within 30 days of the first publication of this notice.
Dated at the City of Kingston
this 16th day of January, 2018
John Bolognone, City clerk
City of Kingston