News & Public Notices
OEB Scorecard confirms Kingston Hydro performing strongly
September 25, 2014 -
The multi-utility structure of Utilities Kingston contributed to a strong performance review of Kingston Hydro on an Ontario Energy Board (OEB) scorecard. The OEB, which licenses Kingston Hydro to distribute electricity in Central Kingston, introduced the scorecard and its assessment framework this year. (Utilities Kingston manages Kingston Hydro's assets.)
"We welcome this opportunity to share performance outcomes with our electricity consumers. Through these indicators, customers can be assured that the company operates responsibly and reliably and that we deliver a high level of service quality – both today and looking toward the future," says Jim Keech, President and CEO of Utilities Kingston.
Evaluating Kingston Hydro's 2013 activities, the OEB's regulatory scorecard is available in its full form at www.kingstonhydro.com and assesses the utility's effectiveness in achieving customer focus, operational effectiveness, public policy responsiveness, and financial performance.
Highlights from the OEB 2013 Scorecard for Kingston Hydro
- Kingston Hydro shows particular strength in providing service quality. Measures exceed industry targets.
- The utility operator, Utilities Kingston, delivers service excellence to its customers, with a particular strength in connecting new electricity services and meeting scheduled appointments on time.
- Utilities Kingston customer service representatives provide one point of contact for multiple utilities, including water, wastewater, gas, electricity and fibre optics, which is unique amongst Ontario's electricity distributors.
- On a cost per customer basis, Kingston Hydro remains one of the lowest cost electricity distribution companies in Ontario.
- Efficiencies are attributed to the unique multi-utility model in Kingston, which delivers cost savings through economies of scope.
- The cost per kilometre of line has increased as Utilities Kingston replaces ageing infrastructure for Kingston Hydro. This activity ensures the continued safety and reliability of electricity services.
Public Policy Responsiveness:
- Kingston Hydro has exceeded its Conservation and Demand Management targets.
- Kingston Hydro connects micro-embedded generation facilities (such as solar panels on homes or businesses) at a rate that exceeds industry targets.
- Third party financing ratios are well within limits.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer for Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro at 613-546-4291, extension 3116.
About Kingston Hydro
Kingston Hydro is the Ontario Energy Board-licensed distributor of electricity in Central Kingston. The company owns the wires, poles, transformers and meters that bring electricity from the provincial electricity transmission grid to 27,000 homes and businesses in Central Kingston, Canadian Forces Base Kingston, and parts of Barriefield Village. The assets of the corporation are proudly maintained and operated by the employees of Utilities Kingston.
About Utilities Kingston
Trusted to maintain and enhance the local community since 1867, Utilities Kingston has provided safe and reliable utility services to local residents for more than 150 years. The company provides customer service and cost-saving advantages through its unique multi-utility services model that includes water, wastewater, gas and electricity, as well as a fibre optics provider.
About Ontario Energy Board
The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) regulates the province's electricity and natural gas sectors in the public interest. In 2012, the OEB introduced a new framework of regulation for electricity distributors called The Renewed Regulatory Framework. This performance-based framework aims to align customer and distributor interests, continues to support the achievement of important public policy objectives, and places a greater focus on delivering long term value for money.
Connect to Utilities Kingston – local services you can rely on.