News & Public Notices
Offer input on emerging vision for former Kingston Penitentiary and Portsmouth Olympic Harbour
March 3, 2017 -
Offer your input on the emerging vision for the former Kingston Penitentiary and Portsmouth Olympic Harbour (POH): Complete the online survey at www.CityofKingston.ca/Portsmouth by Friday, March 17.
The emerging vision was developed following a series of consultations in 2016 and was the subject of the design sessions and public open house at the February workshop facilitated by The Planning Partnership, the consulting team hired by Canada Lands Company and the City of Kingston.
The online survey offers an opportunity for you to respond to the emerging vision. Participants are being asked to offer input on a number of elements proposed for the site, including:
- Continuous public access to and along the water's edge
- A portion of the old penitentiary – and its walls – to be preserved to celebrate heritage and promote tourism
- Repurposed penitentiary buildings for other uses such as office, event space, accommodation
- Areas for low-rise residential
- Areas for mid-rise residential
- Mixed use buildings along King Street to accommodate shops and services
- Open space for recreation and events at POH
- A new community hub to replace the marina building at POH
- A new facility for search and rescue operations
- New and reorganized docks for the marina
The feedback from the survey will be used to help create a recommended vision for this historic waterfront area.
Find out more about the City of Kingston and Canada Lands project to create a vision for the future of the former Kingston Penitentiary and Portsmouth Olympic Harbour at www.CityofKingston.ca/Portsmouth.
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality –ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future.
Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.