Ontario Street pedestrian walkway to be put in place May 15 - Ontario Street pedestrian walkway to be put in place May 15
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Ontario Street pedestrian walkway to be put in place May 15
May 10, 2019 -
The Department of National Defence will begin installing the Ontario Street pedestrian walkway and other traffic control measures at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15. The walkway is needed while structural work to the historic Fort Frontenac Wall is completed.
Kingston Police will direct traffic at The Tragically Hip Way and Ontario Street intersection starting at 7 p.m. May 15 until the measures outlined below are fully in place at 6 a.m. on May 16.
The traffic control plan that will be put in place includes the following:
- Closing the northbound lane on Ontario Street from Tragically Hip Way to Place d'Armes to allow for a 2m temporary pedestrian walkway to be installed on the roadway.
- Directing northbound traffic along one of the existing southbound lanes between Place d'Armes and The Tragically Hip Way.
- Creating a new temporary walkway separated from the northbound traffic lane using a Jersey barrier and the existing traffic island, and separated from the Fort Frontenac wall construction site by temporary construction fencing.
- Creating an accessible pedestrian ramp north of Place d'Armes from the existing sidewalk onto the temporary pedestrian walkway.
- Closing the north crosswalk at The Tragically Hip Way and Ontario Street as the pedestrian crosswalk push buttons on the northeast corner will not be accessible.
- Prohibiting semi-trucks from making left-hand turns from The Tragically Hip Way to Ontario or right-hand turns from Wolfe Island Ferry to Ontario Street due to the new lane configurations.
- Installing signage and new road markings to guide vehicles and pedestrian through the construction site.
Media inquiries about the structural safety, repair plan for the wall, and timing of construction can be directed to Captain Jeremy Mathews, public affairs officer at Jeremy.email@example.com.