News & Public Notices
Parapan Am flame to visit Lake Ontario Park Aug. 3
July 28, 2015 -
The TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay will visit Kingston on Monday, Aug. 3 at Lake Ontario Park, 920 King St. W.
"We were so lucky to have the Pan Am Games Torch Relay come through town on July 2 so we could include Pan Am Games festivities in our Canada Day celebrations. Now, Canada did so well at the Games, I know Kingstonians will be excited to cheer on our Parapan Am athletes when the torch relay arrives," says Mayor Bryan Paterson.
He notes that Lake Ontario Park offers accessible pathways throughout the park and provides a beautiful lakeside venue for the day's activities which include sports demonstrations, live entertainment, a community barbecue and the lighting of the community cauldron.
Here's the line-up of activities for Monday, Aug. 3.
- From 4 to 7 p.m.: Check-out sport demonstrations and inclusive interactive games for all ages, including: Bocce ball, wheelchair basketball, goal ball and sitting volleyball, and 5 in 1 sports centre activities. Enjoy performances by:
- 4 p.m. – Brockville Steel Band
- 5 p.m. –Tracie Morgan Band
- 6 p.m. – Spencer Evans Trio
- 5 to 7 p.m. – Community BBQ (by donation to the 4 Paws Service Dogs)
- 7 p.m. – Community celebrates the Parapan Am Torch Relay and the lighting of the community cauldron.
- 8 p.m. – Community cauldron is extinguished.
See www.CityofKingston.ca/events for any event updates.
Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Our vision – to become Canada's most sustainable city – focusses our efforts on: environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality.
Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, communications officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.