News & Public Notices
Public meeting to review commercial policies in plan for east end
July 29, 2014 -
The City will review recommendations for possible changes to policies guiding commercial growth in Kingston's east end Rideau Community at an upcoming public meeting.
"Our review determined that approximately 150,000 square feet more of commercial space is required in this area in order to meet future demand. These recommendations speak to where and how to add this additional commercial space to best meet the needs of residents in this area," says Cherie Mills, Manager, Policy Planning.
The public meeting is set for 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 7 in Council Chambers, City Hall, 216 Ontario St.
The "Rideau Community Secondary Plan" guides the growth of the east area of the city bordering the Cataraqui River, from Barriefield up Highway 15 to just beyond the St. Lawrence Business Park.
The City retained Sorensen Gravely Lowes Planning Associates Inc. in association with urbanMetrics Inc. to conduct the Commercial Policy Review of the Rideau Community Secondary Plan and the consultants will present their recommendations at the public meeting.
Amongst the Review recommendations is the suggestion that additional commercial space be reserved for food stores, non-food shops and other services – and not be used for large-format non-food retail stores. The Review also suggests the creation of two distinct commercial focal areas in the Rideau Community, by adding a second commercial node on the west side of Highway 15 at Rose Abbey Drive and expanding the existing commercial centre on Gore Road.
Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
Connect to your City.
- Rideau Commercial Study - Consultants Report
- Rideau Commercial Study - Consultants Additional Commentary
- Rideau Commercial Study - Existing Land Use - Schedule RC-1
- Rideau Commercial Study - Key Map D09-019-2014
- Rideau Commercial Study - Draft OPA D09-019-2014
- Rideau Commercial Study - Draft OPA Schedule - Rideau Town Centre
- Rideau Commercial Study - Draft OPA Schedule - 1200 Hwy 15
- Rideau Commercial Study - Draft OPA Schedule - Barriefield Centre
- Rideau Commercial Study - Draft OPA Schedule - Neighbourhood Centre
- Rideau Commercial Study - Draft OPA Schedule - Townhouses Firehall