Remember to #WasteNotYGK this holiday season - Remember to #WasteNotYGK this holiday season
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Remember to #WasteNotYGK this holiday season
December 3, 2018 -
The City of Kingston reminds you to avoid buying, giving or making garbage this holiday season.
"Create memories for the holidays, not waste. Show the earth you care: avoid creating garbage when giving gifts or holding celebrations," says Heather Roberts, director of solid waste.
Share your waste-saving holiday ideas on Twitter using the #WasteNotYGK hashtag.
Here are some ideas to help reach the City's goal of diverting 65 per cent of Kingston's household waste:
- Bring re-useable bags when you go shopping.
- Choose reusable or recyclable wrapping. Traditional wrapping paper cannot be recycled due to the large amount coloured ink. Prefer recyclable or reusable wrapping such as brown paper, newspaper, gift boxes or bags. Share your ingenious wrapping idea at #WasteNotYGK.
- Get crafty! Get items at second hand stores and add your own touch to them!
- Create or buy holiday decorations that can be repurposed or composted. And plan to compost your Christmas trees at the Kingston Area Recycling Centre, 196 Lappan's Lane.
- Food and drinks never go to waste (or landfill). Buy or make gifts you can put in your stomach – and put any leftovers in the green bin.
- Make the most of your green bin. Remember that the green bin accepts soiled paper towels, paper plates and napkins as well as food scraps of all kinds.
- Compost your real Christmas trees at the Kingston Area Recycling Centre or Norterra Organics. Be sure to remove all decorations first. Artificial trees can be donated to second-hand stores and charities or sold on online sales websites.