Remembrance Day ceremony & City schedule - Remembrance Day ceremony & City schedule
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Remembrance Day ceremony & City schedule
November 3, 2014 -
The City's Remembrance Day Civic Ceremony takes place at the newly-restored Cross of Sacrifice on King Street at the foot of George Street on Tuesday, Nov. 11. Wreaths will be laid at the Cross of Sacrifice ahead of the ceremony by community groups, starting at 9:15 a.m., and veteran and military groups starting at 10:15 a.m.
The bilingual civic service will take place from 10:45 a.m. to 11:20 a.m. Spectators should be in place by 10:40 a.m. to see the parade march on ahead of the service. An ASL Interpreter will be present and assistive hearing devices will be available. There will be seating for veterans and people with disabilities.
To accommodate the day's activities:
- King Street will be closed from Barrie to Lower University from 8:15 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Bagot Street will be closed from West to Barrie from 10 a.m. to noon.
Remembrance Day is a holiday observed by many municipal workers, creating some changes to municipal services:
- Kingston Transit: Runs on its regular weekday service on Tuesday. Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
- Kingston Access Services: Runs as usual. Call 613-542-2512 for more information.
- Garbage, Green Bin and recycling: No collection Tuesday and collection moves to the day after your normal pick-up day for the rest of the week. Receive collection reminders by phone, email or text – sign-up at www.CityofKingston.ca/collection. Or download the Kingston Waste app.
- Administrative Offices: All administrative offices, including housing and social services and provincial offences, are closed Tuesday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Open.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed Tuesday.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Open.
- INVISTA Centre & INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Open.
- CaraCo Home Field: Open for booked users Tuesday.
- Arenas: Open.
- Wally Elmer Youth Centre: Closed Tuesday.
- Libraries: Open.
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour: Closed Tuesday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Open. (The Grand's administrative office is closed Tuesday.)
- MacLachlan Woodworking Museum: Open 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pump House Steam Museum: Open 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116 .Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
Connect to your City.