Roster of Family Day activities includes free dancing, skating and fitness - Roster of Family Day activities includes free dancing, skating and fitness
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Roster of Family Day activities includes free dancing, skating and fitness
February 13, 2017 -
Holiday to affect City and utilities schedule
Looking for fun opportunities for Family Day? Plan to dance, make art, swim, skate (free at the INVISTA Centre) and get fit together at a City facility.
Kingston Transit reminds families that kids 12 and under ride FREE every day. Plan your family bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
Here is the City of Kingston's activity, program and service schedule for Family Day, Monday, Feb. 20:
Family Day Activities
Have active Family Day fun at The Tett Centre, 370 King St. W., Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, 382 Bagot St. and the INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.
Unless otherwise indicated, drop-in fees apply. Grade 5s and 9s swim or skate for FREE with ActivPass.
Enjoy The Tett Centre Artstravaganza, 370 King St. W. – Go to www.tettcentre.org for details on these activities. All activities are by donation unless otherwise indicated.
- Dawn Shaker Dance Birthday Party – a 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. dance party. Shake up your family's wake-up in the Malting Tower and enjoy music by My Kinda DJ and treat service available from the Juniper Café.
- "Tread on It" T-Shirt printing workshop with Jeff Mann ($5 registration required). Every half hour starting at 10 a.m. till noon.
- Kingston Immigration Partners Multi-Cultural Arts Fest from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Rehearsal Hall;
- Kids Creativity Club – drop in to the Activity Room from 1 to 3 p.m.;
- The Snow Maiden and more performed by The Kingston School of Dance at 2 p.m. in the Malting Tower.
- Gem Trees and Wrapped Rings with the Kingston Lapidary and Mineral Club (eight spaces available per workshop) – Gem Trees 10 a.m. to noon (for 8-14 year-olds). Wrapped Rings 1 to 3 p.m. (for 9-15 year-olds).
Swim at the Artillery Park Aquatic Centre:
- 10:30 to 11:25 a.m. – Family Aqua Fit (10 years+)
- 11:30 a.m. to 1:25 p.m. – Lane & Family Swim
- 1:30 to 3:25 p.m. – Leisure Swim
- 3:30 to 4:25 p.m. – Parent and Tot Swim (leisure pool)
- 3:30 to 4:25 p.m. – Swim Sports (Vicki Keith Pool)
- 5 to 6:25 p.m. – Lane and Family Swim
- 6:30 to 7:25 p.m. – Aqua fit (Vicki Keith Pool)
- 6:30 to 7:25 p.m. – Leisure Swim (leisure pool)
Skate at the INVISTA Centre:
- Parent & Tot Skating – 10:30 to 11:50 a.m.
- FREE public skating, hot chocolate, snacks and fun! – 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Kingston Transit rink.
- Parent & Tot Stick & Puck – 2 to 2:50 p.m.
Work out at a City fitness centre:
Drop in to the INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre (6 a.m. to 6 p.m.) or the Artillery Park Aquatic Centre (10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.).
- Fitness members at the INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre can bring a friend for FREE on Family Day (call 613-546-4291, ext. 1891 for details)
- Grade 9 ActivPass holders enjoy FREE Fit Zone access all day at the INVISTA Centre.
Municipal Holiday Schedule
The Family Day holiday will create some schedule changes to municipal services:
- Green Bin, garbage and recycling: No collection on Monday. Collection occurs the day after your regular pick-up day this week. Sign-up at www.CityofKingston.ca/collection to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email. The City also offers a FREE "Kingston Waste" app for use on your Apple or Android device.
- Kingston Transit: Bus service will operate on a Sunday schedule on Monday. Route 18 will run on a weekday schedule.
- Kingston Access Services: Operates with limited service on Monday. Bookings accepted starting Monday, Feb. 6. Call 613-542-2512 for information.
- Administrative offices, including housing and social services on Montreal Street and Provincial Offences: Closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. Customers experiencing a water or power outage can go to UtilitiesKingston.com/Outages to see if it is on the map. If not – or to report a gas smell or a water main break – call Utilities Kingston 24/7 at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the city's west and east ends should call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999. Remember: off-peak pricing applies to electricity used on weekends and holidays like Family Day.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed.
- INVISTA Centre/Arenas: The INVISTA Centre is open but all other arenas are closed.
- INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Open limited hours – 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Open limited hours – 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Libraries: All branches of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library will be closed on Sunday and Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at www.kingstongrand.ca.
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality –ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future. Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.KingstonTransit.ca/TripPlanner
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.