News & Public Notices
Sheep Dog Trials: dogs, sheep, camels & more!
July 28, 2014 -
Plan to attend the 27th Annual Kingston Sheep Dog Trials Festival, an Ontario Top 100 Festival, from August 8 to 10 at Grass Creek Park, 2993 Highway 2.
"The Annual Sheep Dog Trials is a unique event the whole family can enjoy, made possible by the many dedicated volunteers, organizers and competitors," said Mayor Mark Gerretsen. "We are proud of this made-in-Kingston family festival which regularly ranks as one of Ontario's top 100 events."
The Trials run daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and the side attractions from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The event offers a family day filled with exciting entertainment for only $10/person/day or $25 for a three-day pass. Kids under 10 are admitted for free. Visiting the MacLachlan Woodworking Museum is also free with your admission during the three-day festival.
"Les Moutons" brings the sheep Downtown
Whet your appetite for the sheep action in Grass Creek Park by checking out "Les Moutons" – a CORPUS Theatre presentation where reality meets fantasy. You will enjoy this truly innovative performance that is sure to leave ‘ewe' smiling. It's offered for free at 12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 8 in Springer Market Square.
Dogs vs. Sheep at Grass Creek Park - 2993 Highway 2
Sheep Dog Trial enthusiasts will enjoy three full days of competition which pit North America's top handlers and hard-working border collies against Waupoos Island Sheep in Canada's largest timed sheep-herding Trials.
Attractions this year include:
- The Bomanville Zoo's Animal Encounters and camel rides; Rideau River Dock Dogs competition; Agility Connection; Kingston Police K-9 Unit and Mounted Police; Craft and Artisans Fair; Sheep Shearing; Spinning and Weaving; and Sheep-to-Shawl competition and auction.
- Kids Zone: pony rides, petting zoo, face-painting – plus the Kingston Arts Team's Park Parties. Choose from one of four themed Park Parties between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.: Splish Splash, Music Makes You Move, City Circus or Once Upon a Park.
Accessible parking, seating and washrooms are available. Path mats are being placed to make areas more easily accessible. Assistive hearing devices are being offered for the Trials.
Take the Sheep Dog Shuttle
Take the accessible Sheep Dog Trials Festival shuttle bus to Grass Creek Park for only a loonie each way (kids under 2 ride for free). The bus departs from:
- Kingston Memorial Centre, 303 York St. – 9:15 a.m., 11:15 a.m., and 1:15 p.m. Free parking is available at this location.
- Roger's K-Rock Centre, 1 The Tragically Hip Way – 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 1:30 p.m.
- Grass Creek Park (returns to Kingston) –2:30 p.m., 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Catch the Horse Drawn Wagon from the shuttle stop at the park to the event area between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Find the full 2014 program and Trials' running order at www.kingstonsheepdogtrials.com.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.