News & Public Notices
Start gathering items for Giveaway Day
October 11, 2013 -
It's time to start preparing for Giveaway Day on Saturday, Oct. 19 – that's the day you are invited to put out reusable items you no longer want for your neighbours who might like them.
"Giveaway Day helps keep useful items out of landfill," says John Giles, Manager of Solid Waste. "If you don't want something and it still has use, give it away. And Giveaway Day is a great day to find stuff you need for free."
Giveaway Day marks the unofficial beginning of Waste Reduction Week, October 21 to 27, when the City plans to recognize its Remarkable Recyclers.
Giveaway Day Guidelines
The City does NOT pick up Giveaway Day items left at the curb at the end of the day. Owners are responsible for proper disposal of remaining items.
What to put out
Put out items like books, CDs, DVDs, furniture, small appliances, electronics, construction materials, hardware, kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and knick knacks.
Do not put out
Do not put out items like baby walkers, playpens, bath seats, car seats, blinds, mattresses and toys. The Consumer Product Safety Bureau warns people not to pick up such items at curbside.
Tips on the Give-and-Take of Giveaway Day
- The City WILL NOT collect these items from the curb. You are responsible for any of your Giveaway items that are not picked-up. Remove them at the end of the day.
- Label items as "Free" and keep anything you don't want taken away separate from your Giveaway items.
- Make sure Giveaway items remain on your property and do not obstruct the sidewalk.
- Take only items that are marked "Free."
- Respect other people's property: don't walk on people's lawns or gardens.
- Do not leave picked-up items on other people's property. If you take an item, you are responsible for it and its proper disposal.
These guidelines can also be found at: www.CityofKingston.ca/giveaway
Be reminded what to put out when: www.CityofKingston.ca/collection
Don't know where it goes? Use the Waste Sorting Lookup at www.CityofKingston.ca/waste
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Communications Officer 613-546-4291, ext. 3116 (cell 613-329-3462). Or call the City of Kingston's media hotline at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.