News & Public Notices
Students: have a move-out plan
April 9, 2018 -
The school year is quickly coming to an end! The City wants to congratulate students on finishing their academic year and share tips on how to make spring or summer move-out go smoothly.
If you plan on moving out this month, here are a few steps you should be sure to take:
- Make sure to close your Utilities Kingston account. A minimum of five business days are necessary to ensure the account is closed on the date requested. You can do this online at http://utilitieskingston.com/Accounts/CloseAccount or by phone at 613-546-0000. (Hydro One electricity customers can call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-888-774-3111).
- Dispose of any unwanted items properly. April 21 is Giveaway Day, a day for residents to put items they no longer want out at the curb for someone who might like them. Any items not picked up must be brought back inside at 6 p.m. Consider donating those and other items to a local charity.
- Have items that cannot be reused? Drop them off at paid disposal sites. Waste Connections Canada is located at 1266 McAdoos Lane, off of Division Street, and is open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday April 22 and 29.
- If you need to put out more than one bag of garbage on collection day, you will need bag tags. They can be purchased for $2 each (shipping tags takes 5 to 7 days by mail) at www.CityofKingston.ca/Pay or at designated stores in the city. Find a store near you at: www.CityofKingston.ca/Garbage.
- Remember that Yard and Streets and Property Standards bylaws require yards to be free of any garbage or debris. There will be bylaw officers enforcing these laws so do the smart thing and plan ahead. Learn more about these bylaws and how to comply by visiting: www.CityofKingston.ca/Students.
Let's keep Kingston beautiful! Learn more move-out tips by visiting: www.CityofKingston.ca/Students.
About the City of Kingston
Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.