Students: here's your move-out checklist - Students: here's your move-out checklist
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Students: here's your move-out checklist
April 12, 2016 -
Students: if you are planning a move this month, use this City of Kingston checklist to make sure it goes smoothly:
1. Close your Utilities Kingston account. If the account is in your name, you must be the one to close it at http://utilitieskingston.com/Accounts/CloseAccount or call 613-546-0000 (sooner = better).
2. Stay connected to Kingston this summer: follow @cityofkingston.ca on Twitter, Like TheCityOfKingston on Facebook – or check www.CityofKingston.ca to see what's going on in your second hometown.
3. Properly dispose of unwanted items:
- Put out reusable items you don't want on Giveaway Day on Saturday, April 16. Bring in any left-over items at the end of Giveaway Day. The City will NOT collect unwanted items at the curb. Arrange to donate those to charity.
- Buy bag tags if you have more than one bag of garbage to put out. Go to www.CityofKingston.ca/garbage to see where to buy them ($2 each) – or buy them online at www.CityofKingston.ca/pay. BTW: the maximum allowable weight per garbage bag/container is 44 pounds.
- Drop off garbage for paid disposal at Progressive Waste Solutions transfer station (this is not a City-run facility), 1266 McAdoos Lane off Division Street, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Visit www.CityofKingston.ca/garbage for a full list of other disposal alternatives.
4. Leave your home clear of garbage, debris and furniture. Property standards and bylaw enforcement staff will be out to issue warnings and, where necessary, lay charges for mess left behind on private and/or City property. Properly dispose of unwanted items to stay on your landlord's good side and avoid hefty possible fines, contracted clean-up costs (plus admin fees of $137.95), or possible legal action. If you see anyone cutting open garbage bags or emptying garbage containers, please call general bylaw at 613-546-4291 ext. 3135.
You should see this town in the summer! The City would love for you to consider making Kingston your permanent home.
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality –ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future. Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.