Students: Packing up for summer? Use this checklist - Students: Packing up for summer? Use this checklist
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Students: Packing up for summer? Use this checklist
April 13, 2015 -
Students: if you are planning a move this month, use the City of Kingston's checklist below to make sure it goes smoothly (this information can also be found at www.CityofKingston.ca/students):
1. Close your Utilities Kingston account. If the account is in your name, you must be the one to close it at http://utilitieskingston.com/Accounts/CloseAccount or by calling 613-546-0000 (sooner is better).
2. Plan to stay connected to Kingston over the summer: follow @cityofkingston.ca on Twitter, Like TheCityOfKingston on Facebook – or just check in to www.CityofKingston.ca to see what's going on in your second hometown.
3. Make a plan to properly dispose of unwanted items:
- Put out reusable items you no longer want on Giveaway Day, Saturday, April 18. Bring in any left-over items at the end of Giveaway Day. The City will NOT collect unwanted items at the curb. Arrange to donate those to charity.
- Buy bag tags if you have more than one bag of garbage to put out. Go to www.CityofKingston.ca/garbage to see where you can buy them ($2 each) – or buy them online at www.CityofKingston.ca/pay. BTW: the maximum allowable weight per garbage bag/container is 44 pounds.
- Drop off garbage for paid disposal at Progressive Waste Solutions transfer station (this is not a City-run facility), 1266 McAdoos Lane off Division Street, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. It will be open Saturday, May 2 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Visit www.CityofKingston.ca/garbage for a full list of other disposal alternatives.
4. Leave the area around your home-away-from-home clear of garbage, debris and furniture. Property standards and bylaw enforcement staff will be out during move-out to issue warnings and, where necessary, lay charges for mess left behind on private and/or City property. Stay on your landlord's good side: avoid hefty possible fines, contracted clean-up costs (plus admin fees of $137.95), or possible legal action – plan ahead to deal with your garbage and unwanted items. If you see anyone cutting open garbage bags or emptying garbage containers, please call general bylaw at 613-546-4291 ext. 3135.
5. Miss your second home. The City of Kingston would love for you to consider making Kingston your permanent home. You should see this town in the summer!
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 120,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Our vision – to become Canada's most sustainable city – focusses our efforts on: environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality. Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, communications officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.