Traffic Report - Traffic Report
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Traffic Report
July 24, 2015 -
Please see below for a list of road construction projects and events expected to have an impact on traffic flow next week, including a notice from Utilities Kingston about electrical work affecting downtown parking and sidewalks and a notice from Public Works and Government Services Canada about work being planned for the La Salle Causeway.
See the entire 2015-18 infrastructure program at www.CityofKingston.ca/construction.
For updates on Highway 401 construction visit the Ministry of Transportation's website at www.roadinfo.mto.gov.on.ca or call 5-1-1.
Traffic delays (construction)
- Expect delays on Union Street and University Avenue until mid-Sept while crews prepare for the intersection for the pedestrian scramble crossing.
- Expect significant delays on Front Road between Trailhead Place and INVISTA until late October as crews replace the bridge. Choose an alternate route if possible.
- Expect delays on Creekford Road at the new intersection of Bayridge Drive until late November while crews construct the new Bayridge Drive extension.
- Expect delays on King Street at Breakwater Park and on Lower Union during the week of August 4 while crews for Utilities Kingston repair a gas valve.
Road closures (general)
McEwen Drive is closed from just south of Bath Road to Castell Road until late August while crews make the necessary repairs to the storm sewer. Businesses on Bath Road remain accessible from Bath Road. Local traffic can access this section of McEwen Drive from Castell Road.
Road closures (events)
- Ontario Street will be closed between Johnson and Brock on Saturday, July 25 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the Kingston Police Show N' Shine Motorcycle Charity Event for Fallen Heroes
- King Street will be closed from the Tragically Hip Way to Place d'Armes on Sunday, July 26 for the Journey concert.
- Market Street will be closed on July 27 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and on July 28-29 and August 1, 4-5, 9, 11-12 from 5 to 9 p.m. each day for the Autoshow performance in Springer Market Square as part of the Kick and Push Festival.
- Market Street will also be closed from Friday, July 31 at 8 a.m. until 1 a.m. Saturday, August for Rockin in the Square.
- Princess Street (between Division and Ontario) and Sydenham Street (between Princess and Queen) will be closed on Saturday, August 1 from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the Princess Street Promenade.
The following Streets will be closed for the K-Town Triathlon on Sunday, August 2:
- Ontario Street from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m. between Queen and Market
- Brock Street from 4 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- Princess Street from 4 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. between King and the Holiday Inn
- Ontario Street 7 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. between Barrack and Queen
- Queen Street 7 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. between King & Ontario
- Place d'Armes 7 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. southbound ramp from King to Ontario
- Ontario Street 7 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. southbound lane between the northerly leg of Place d'Armes and Barrack
- Ontario Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between Market and West
- Market Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- Clarence Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- Johnson Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- William Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- Earl Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- Gore Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- Lower Union Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
- West Street 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. between King and Ontario
Also note that as part of the K-Town Triathlon there will be a temporary change to a two-way traffic pattern on Princess Street between King and Ontario from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 2.
Road closures (reconstruction)
Below are the reconstruction projects currently underway followed by the section the section that is currently closed:
Yonge Street (between Kennedy and Johnson) and Forsythe Avenue
- Yonge Street from Hatter (South Leg) to Church will be closed until early August.
Ellerbeck Street between Union and King
- Ellerbeck Street from King to Davidson will be closed until late August
Stuart Street between Lower University and Arch
- The intersection of George and Stuart will be closed until late July.
- Stuart Street from George to Arch will be closed until early August.
- Arch Street will be closed from Stuart to the north limit until late July
Electrical Work to Affect Downtown Parking and Sidewalks
Business owners, shoppers and residents in the areas listed below can expect parking restrictions and sidewalk closures while crews work to install new electrical infrastructure. Work will be staggered over the coming months so not all these areas will be affected at the same time.
- Princess Street between Clergy and Montreal
- Clergy Street between Princess and Queen
- Sydenham Street between Princess and Queen
- Montreal Street between Princess and Queen
View a more detailed map of the affected area at http://utilitieskingston.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=289.
We apologize for any inconvenience. This work helps to ensure a reliable source of electricity to you, our customers. For more information, call the Customer Service Centre at 613-546-0000.
Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC)
La Salle Causeway — Bridge Closure aniticpated in August or September
Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) wishes to advise motorists, boaters, pedestrians and cyclists of an upcoming two-day closure of the La Salle Causeway anticipated in August or September 2015. This closure is necessary to complete a structural repair that will ensure the continued safe operation of the bridge.
PWGSC will announce the dates of the closure as soon as the schedule is confirmed.
The closure has been scheduled in consultation with the City of Kingston and the Province of Ontario to ensure the least possible inconvenience. A taxi service will be made available for pedestrians during the closure.
Boats less than four metres in height above the waterline can pass through the causeway via the east bridge.
Safety is a top priority for PWGSC, and we are committed to ensuring the continued integrity of the bridges we manage.
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank users for their patience.
Pont-jetée la salle—fermeture de deux jours du pont prévue en Août ou en Septembre
KINGSTON (Ontario), le 22 juillet 2015 – Travaux publics et Services gouvernementaux Canada (TPSGC) souhaite informer les automobilistes, les plaisanciers, les cyclistes et les piétons d'une fermeture de deux jours du pont jetée La Salle prévue en août ou en septembre 2015. La fermeture est nécessaire pour permettre des réparations structurales qui assureront l'exploitation sécuritaire continue du pont.
TPSGC annoncera les dates de fermeture dès que le calendrier sera confirmé.
La fermeture a été planifiée en consultation avec la Ville de Kingston et la province de l'Ontario afin d'occasionner le moins d'inconvénients possible. Un service de taxis sera offert aux piétons durant la fermeture.
Les embarcations de moins de quatre mètres de hauteur au-dessus de la ligne de flottaison peuvent traverser le pont-jetée en passant sous le pont est.
La sécurité est une priorité pour TPSGC, et nous nous engageons à assurer l'intégrité continue des ponts sous notre responsabilité.
Nous nous excusons de tout inconvénient et remercions les utilisateurs de leur patience.
For more information on the La Salle Causeway please contact the Media Relations Unit, Public Works and Government Services Canada, 819-956-2315
For more information on all other traffic delays and road closures please contact Cindie Ashton, communications officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.