Traffic Report - Traffic Report
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Traffic Report
Sept. 11, 2015 -
Please see below for a list of road construction projects and events expected to have an impact on traffic flow next week, including a notice from Utilities Kingston about electrical work affecting downtown parking and sidewalks and a notice from Public Works and Government Services Canada about work being planned for the La Salle Causeway.
See the entire 2015-18 infrastructure program at www.CityofKingston.ca/construction.
For updates on Highway 401 construction visit the Ministry of Transportation's website at www.roadinfo.mto.gov.on.ca or call 5-1-1.
Kingston Transit riders: find the up-to-date list of all detours/service alerts at www.CityofKingston.ca/residents/transit/service-alerts.
Traffic delays (construction)
Expect delays at the intersection of Princess and Sir John A. MacDonald beginning Wednesday, Sept. 16 until Friday, Sept.18 while crews repair the road surface.
- Expect significant delays on Front Road between Trailhead Place and INVISTA until the end of the year as crews replace the bridge. Choose an alternate route if possible.
- Expect lane closures and delays at the intersection of Princess Street and Portsmouth Avenue at Utilities Kingston staff rebuild the intersection. Work will be performed at off-peak times.
- Expect minor delays on Princess Street (northbound) at Bath/Concession while Utilities Kingston crews replace a gas main. This activity is part of a project that will extend into the fall. Major traffic disruptions are expected mid-October and plans will be shared beforehand. Stay tuned for a complete update on traffic impacts from Utilities Kingston.
- Expect delays on Stuart Street from Barrie to Lower University from Tuesday, Sept. 15 to Friday, Sept. 18 while crews add a last layer of asphalt.
Road closures (general)
McEwen Drive is closed from just south of Bath Road to Castell Road until late August while crews make the necessary repairs to the storm sewer. Businesses on Bath Road remain accessible from Bath Road. Local traffic can access this section of McEwen Drive from Castell Road.
Road closures (events)
- Sydenham Street Revived: Sydenham Street is closed to vehicles between Queen and Princess until 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 13 for the Sustainable Kingston's Sydenham Street Revived project.
- Livingston Avenue (Union to King) and Davidson (Ellerbeck to Pembroke) will be closed on Saturday, Sept. 12 from noon to 11p.m. for the 11th Livingston/Davidson Neighbourhood BBQ and Picnic.
- King Street will be closed between The Tragically Hip Way and Place d'Armes from Saturday, Sept.12 at 9 p.m. to Sunday, Sept.13 at midnight for the Bridal Show at the K-Rock Centre.
- King Street will be closed between The Tragically Hip Way and Place d'Armes on Wednesday, Sept. 16 from noon until 8 p.m. for the Frontenac Season Ticket Holders' BBQ.
- Ontario Street will be closed from Market to Brock on Thursday, Sept. 17 from 4 to 7 p.m. for the final silent vigil by Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent De Paul.
- Princess Street Promenade: On Saturday, Sept. 19 from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Princess Street will be closed from Division to Ontario and Sydenham Street will be closed from Princess to Queen.
Queen's University-related events:
- University Avenue will be closed between Stuart and Union on Friday, Sept. 11 from 4 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. for the Queen's Annual Sidewalk Sale.
- Cummins Road from Wilton Road to the end of Cummins Road on Saturday, Sept. 12 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the Queen's Activity Grease Pole Climb.
- Albert Street will be closed between Brock and Mack on Saturday, Sept. 12 from noon to 5 p.m. for the Queen's Annual Charitable Car Wash "Shine Day".
Road closures (reconstruction)
Below are the reconstruction projects currently underway followed by the section that is currently closed.
Yonge Street (between Kennedy and Johnson) and Forsythe Avenue
- Yonge Street from Hatter (north leg) to Hatter (south leg) will be closed until late September.
- Forsythe Avenue from Mowat to Yonge will be closed until late September.
Ellerbeck Street between Union and King
- Ellerbeck Street will be closed from Union to Davidson until early October.
Traffic Delays (Road repair program)
The City's road repair program, to remove and replace sections of asphalt will continue through September. To limit delays, the contractor will avoid working on high volume roads during peak travel times. Here's where they will be working next week:
- Princess Street from Parkway to Gardiners
- Gardiners Road from Cataraqui Woods to Bath
- Centennial Drive from Bath to Taylor Kidd
- Unity from Sydenham to Leeman
- Portsmouth from John Counter to Johnson
Electrical Work to Affect Downtown Parking and Sidewalks
Business owners, shoppers and residents in the areas listed below can expect parking restrictions and sidewalk closures while crews work to install new electrical infrastructure. Work will be staggered over the coming months so not all these areas will be affected at the same time.
- Princess Street between Clergy and Montreal
- Clergy Street between Princess and Queen
- Sydenham Street between Princess and Queen
- Montreal Street between Princess and Queen
View a more detailed map of the affected area at http://utilitieskingston.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=289.
We apologize for any inconvenience. This work helps to ensure a reliable source of electricity to you, our customers. For more information, call the Customer Service Centre at 613-546-0000.
For more information on all other traffic delays and road closures please contact the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.