News & Public Notices
November 6, 2015
Reminder: John Counter Boulevard will be closed between Portsmouth Avenue and Princess Street next week, Nov. 9 to 13 while crews replace four again culverts. Local traffic will continue to be able to access the train station and businesses on the west side of the CN rail lines via Princess St. All other traffic must choose an alternate route. See www.CityofKingston.ca/jcb for more information on this project.
Please see below for a list of road construction projects and events expected to have an impact on traffic flow next week, including a notice from Utilities Kingston's about electrical work affecting downtown parking and sidewalks.
Is construction coming to a street near you? See the entire 2015-18 infrastructure program at www.CityofKingston.ca/construction.
Kingston Transit riders: find the up-to-date list of all detours/service alerts at www.CityofKingston.ca/residents/transit/service-alerts.
For updates on Highway 401 construction visit the Ministry of Transportation's website at www.roadinfo.mto.gov.on.ca or call 5-1-1.
Traffic delays (Construction)
- Expect significant delays on Front Road between Trailhead Place and INVISTA until the end of the year as crews replace the bridge. Choose an alternate route if possible.
- Expect delays to begin on John Counter Boulevard between Princess and Indian as crews complete preliminary work for the bridge embankment. See www.CityofKingston.ca/jcb
- Expect significant delays eastbound on Bath Road (between Palace Road and Princess Street) and delays on Concession Street (between Princess Street and Drayton Street). These sections of Bath and Concession will be reduced to one lane at times, as Utilities Kingston installs a gas main. Due to the location of this project, extra precautions are being taken to minimize impacts and delays for drivers. For example, trenchless (no-dig) technologies will be used to the greatest extent possible. Learn more about the traffic impacts of this project from Utilities Kingston www.utilitieskingston.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=305
Road closures (reconstruction)
- Yonge Street will be closed from Wolfe to Forsythe until early December.
- John Counter will be closed between Portsmouth and Princess from Nov. 9 to 13 while crews replace aging culverts. Local traffic can continue to access the Via Rail station and other businesses on the west side of the tracks from Princess St.
- Ellerbeck Street will be closed between Davidson and King beginning until Thursday, Dec. 10, 2015 while crews complete remedial work.
Road closures (events)
- Ontario Street will be closed between Gore and Lower Union on Wednesday, Nov. 11 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. for the Naval Remembrance Day Ceremony Service
- King Street will be closed between Barrie and Lower University from 8:15 a.m. to 12 noon and Bagot Street will be closed between West and Barrie from 10 a.m. to 12 noon for the Civic Service of Remembrance and Wreath Laying Ceremonies
Utilities Kingston - Downtown electrical work Business owners, shoppers and residents in the areas listed below can expect parking restrictions and sidewalk closures while crews work to install new electrical infrastructure. Work will be staggered over the coming months so not all these areas will be affected at the same time.
- Princess Street between Clergy and Montreal
- Clergy Street between Princess and Queen
- Sydenham Street between Princess and Queen
- Montreal Street between Princess and Queen
View a more detailed map of the affected area at: http://www.utilitieskingston.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=289
We apologize for any inconvenience. This work helps to ensure a reliable source of electricity to you, our customers.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, communications officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300