Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro share 2015 annual reports online - Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro share 2015 annual reports online
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro share 2015 annual reports online
May 31, 2016 -
Today, Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro are sharing their 2015 online annual reports with the community.
The "Our Year in 2015" reports and a brief video overview (under five minutes) are available at www.UtilitiesKingston.com/2015 and www.KingstonHydro.com/2015 to make accessing and sharing them easier than ever; or follow the hashtag #OurYear2015 on Twitter @utilitieskngstn.
"We want to share our work and results, as we're very proud of the efficiencies and improvements our employees are able to realize based on the unique multi-utility model. Our structure has definitely helped keep our operations streamlined, safe and sustainable," says Jim Keech, president and CEO of Utilities Kingston.
Keech stresses the importance of long-term planning, responsible asset management and preventative maintenance in the safe and reliable service delivery – the basis for excellent customer service.
Wholly owned by the City of Kingston, Utilities Kingston cares for water, wastewater, gas, electricity and fibre optic networks on behalf of its customers, as well as municipally-owned streetlights and traffic signals. It has been serving Kingston since 1847, when it was founded as the Kingston Gas and Light Company.
Utilities Kingston's 2015 Highlights
- Replaced 3,000 water meters to ensure billing accuracy.
- Inspected 3,384 fire hydrants and flow-rated 748 hydrants to ensure fire protection and safety.
- Cleaned and inspected 57 kilometres of sewer main to ensure reliability of the wastewater collection system.
- Replaced 1,476 metres of gas main, installed 870 metres of new gas main and replaced 2,600 gas meters to ensure safe and reliable gas distribution and measurement.
- Built or rebuilt six intersections and installed 78 uninterruptible power supply (UPS) batteries at 16 intersections to ensure safe traffic flow in the event of a power outage.
- Inspected 2,189 streetlight poles and identified 98 to be prioritized for replacement.
- Maintained an ongoing focus on health and safety training – 59 sessions, totaling 4,030 training hours, were held in 2015. The Utilities Kingston 10-year summary of injury rates identifies a decline in injury frequency during 2015.
- Utilities Kingston and the City of Kingston again held their award-winning Safety Days program for 400 delegates and 208 contracting firms.
- Utilities Kingston works on behalf of electricity distributor, Kingston Hydro, to ensure safe and reliable delivery of power to its customers.
- Installed 101 electric poles (reduced from 133 poles to improved efficiency), 41.5 kilometres of overhead wire, 11.5 kilometers of underground cables, 39 pole transformers, 9 pad-mount transformers, and 46 poles and lights to ensure reliable delivery of electricity.
- Trimmed the trees in the entire distribution network over a three-year period to ensure worker safety and reduce the impact of extreme weather events. For every municipally-owned tree removed under this program, we fund replacement with two trees.
Water And Energy Conservation Achievements
- Delivered customized Powerful InsightsTM reports to 9,000 households, to help identify opportunities for conservation. These customers used two per cent less energy than a control group that didn't receive reports.
- Delivered 650 rain barrels to customers in 2015, for a total of 9,400 since 2006.
- Customers have saved 400,000 square metres of water and sewage since 2011.
- Also since 2011, customer conservation projects have saved enough energy to power 6,000 households.
Media contact: For more information contact 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect with Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston