News & Public Notices
Utilities Kingston offers its customers rain barrels
March 26, 2014 -
Utilities Kingston now has 1,000 rain barrels for sale to its customers. Get a head start on spring and order yours while quantities last by calling 613-546-0000.
- Delivery: The barrels will be delivered to customers' homes. No delivery appointment is required, and customers do not need to be home to receive their rain barrel.
- Cost: Rain barrels cost $42, including HST. This charge will be added to the customer's Utilities Kingston bill upon delivery. Orders are limited to one barrel per account.
- Availability: Rain barrels are available to Utilities Kingston customers who receive municipal water and wastewater services in the City of Kingston.
These rain barrels hold approximately 210 litres; have a child-proof lid and mosquito/debris screen to keep water in the barrel clean and free of pests; may be connected to other barrels to increase water capture capacity; and feature a high-quality spigot and tap.
Rain Barrels Conserve Water & Energy
Rain barrels help protect the environment by reducing the amount of treated lake water used for watering gardens, and by diverting rainwater from the sanitary and storm sewer systems. They help conserve energy by reducing the amount of water and wastewater that Utilities Kingston needs to pump and treat – and save you money by lowering your water consumption. Plus, rain water contains minerals that make it better for plants than treated tap water.
How to Install your Rain Barrel
Rain barrels are easy to install. Just follow these steps:
- Place the rain barrel on a platform two to three feet off the ground.
- Cut the existing downspout above the top of the rain barrel then re-install the downspout elbow so that it sits just above the centre of the barrel's screen. Alternatively, you can use a downspout diverter and run a hose to the rain barrel while leaving the downspout in place.
- Punch out the overflow hole on one side of the barrel, then connect the barrel's overflow hose and direct it away from the foundation of your home.
- In the winter, simply turn the barrel over so that water does not accumulate and freeze, then re-install the downspout to direct water away from your foundation.
After May 1, you can visit the rain barrel and downspout demonstration at Utilities Kingston's Water Conservation Garden, 1211 John Counter Blvd., to see different options for rain barrel installation.
Hands on Workshops being offered again in 2014
Stay tuned for more information on the 2014 series of Everything Drainage Workshops. Get hands-on demonstrations to protect your property from water Issues. Workshops will take place at the Utilities Kingston Water Conservation Garden at 1211 John Counter Blvd., and dates will be announced. Want to reserve your place? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to join the waiting list (space not guaranteed).
For more information call 613-546-0000 or go to www.utilitieskingston.com/water and look under the "Conservation" menu for the Rain Barrel Program.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer for Utilities Kingston at 613-546-4291, extension 3116.