Utilities Kingston offers its customers rain barrels - Utilities Kingston offers its customers rain barrels
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Utilities Kingston offers its customers rain barrels
April 14, 2016 -
Garden-lovers: celebrate spring! Get a home-delivered rain barrel to capture showers for use in your garden. Utilities Kingston is offering rain barrels for sale to its customers. Order yours while quantities last by calling 613-546-0000. You can now order more than one rain barrel per household each year.
- Delivery: The barrels will be delivered to customers' homes. No delivery appointment is required, and customers do not need to be home to receive their rain barrel.
- Cost: Rain barrels cost $44, including HST and delivery. This charge will be added to the customer's Utilities Kingston bill upon delivery.
- Availability: Rain barrels are available to Utilities Kingston customers who receive municipal water and wastewater services in the City of Kingston.
Rain barrels hold approximately 210 litres; have a child-proof lid and mosquito/debris screen to keep water in the barrel clean and free of pests; and may be connected to other barrels to increase water capture capacity.
Rain Barrels Conserve Water And Energy
Rain barrels help protect the environment by reducing the amount of treated lake water used for watering gardens, and by diverting rainwater from the sanitary and storm sewer systems. They help conserve energy by reducing the amount of water and wastewater that Utilities Kingston needs to pump and treat – and save you money by lowering your water consumption.
Show your growing garden some love with rain water; it contains minerals that make it better for plants than treated tap water.
How To Install Your Rain Barrel
Rain barrels are easy to install. Visit the Utilities Kingston website to view a video with simple step-by-step instructions, or just follow these steps:
- Place the rain barrel on a platform two to three feet off the ground.
- Cut the existing downspout above the top of the rain barrel, then re-install the downspout elbow so that it sits just above the centre of the barrel's screen. Alternatively, you can use a downspout diverter and run a hose to the rain barrel while leaving the downspout in place.
- Punch out the overflow hole on one side of the barrel, then connect the barrel's overflow hose and direct it away from the foundation of your home.
- In the winter, simply turn the barrel over so that water does not accumulate and freeze, then re-install the downspout to direct water away from your foundation.
Multiple rain barrels can be installed in tandem to increase capacity. After May 15, you can visit the rain barrel and downspout demonstration at Utilities Kingston's Water Conservation Garden, 1211 John Counter Blvd., to see different options for rain barrel installation.
Hands-On Workshops Being Offered Again in 2016
Stay tuned for more information on the 2016 series of Everything Drainage Workshops. Get hands-on demonstrations to protect your property from water issues. Workshops will take place at the Utilities Kingston Water Conservation Garden at 1211 John Counter Blvd., and dates will be announced. Want to reserve your place? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the waiting list (space not guaranteed).
Good gardeners know that plants prefer rain water. Show your garden some love – get it a rain barrel. For more information and to order call 613-546-0000, or go to www.UtilitiesKingston.com
Media contact: For more information contact 613-546-4291, ext. 3116 (cell 613-329-3462).
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect with Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston