Utilities Kingston offers precautionary tips - Utilities Kingston offers precautionary tips
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Utilities Kingston offers precautionary tips
June 11, 2014 -
Customers should be prepared for power outages and basement flooding associated with the downpours expected today and into tomorrow.
Utilities Kingston offers the following precautionary power-related tips:
- If you are experiencing a power outage, call 613-546-1181 to hear the list of known outages and report your outage if it is not listed.
- If you see a downed power line or tree branch that has fallen on a power line, always assume it's energized and dangerous. Stay away and call 613-546-1181 (answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week).
- For regular updates, follow Utilities Kingston on Twitter and Facebook.
- Visit http://www.utilitieskingston.com/Emergency/PowerOutages.aspx for a more extensive list of power-outage precautions.
If your basement floods:
A flooded basement may pose a risk of electrical shock or gas leak. When in doubt, do not enter your home's flooded area. If you are certain you can safely do so, turn off your home's power.
Leave your home immediately if you smell gas and, if you are a Utilities Kingston customer, call 613-546-1181, extension 2151.
Entering a wet basement could be hazardous! Before you enter your basement, consider the risk of electrical shock, gas leaks, pollutants or chemicals that that may have entered the flood waters, and structural damage.
Concerned Utilities Kingston customers may also visit http://utilitieskingston.com/Wastewater/basementflooding/flooded.aspx for further guidance on how to prepare to call your insurance company and approach clean-up.
Help prevent possible floods by:
- Ensuring your sump pump or sewer backwater valve are in good working order.
- Checking your downspouts to ensure they are clear of leaves and debris, and connected and draining properly.
- Reducing your household water use during heavy rainfall.
- Visiting www.UtilitiesKingston.com/floodfacts to review 18 Flood Facts and Tips and access additional resources.
Basement flooding can occur any time. It can happen to anyone who has a basement, even if it has never flooded before.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer for Utilities Kingston at 613-546-4291, extension 3116.