News & Public Notices
Utilities Kingston reminders: keep gas meters clear of snow and protect pipes from freezing
February 12, 2015 -
Utilities Kingston is reminding customers to keep gas meters cleared of snow and ice. The utility company is receiving trouble calls due to this equipment being blocked by snow and ice.
Although your outdoor gas meter is designed to withstand winter weather, heavy or hard-packed snow and ice can be a safety hazard. Keep snow and ice from building up on and covering your gas meter.
- Do not shovel snow up against your meter.
- Take care in using a snow blower or plow near your meter.
- Never kick or hit the gas meter or its piping to break away built-up snow or ice.
- Use a broom to gently clear snow and ice from this equipment.
- The external vent pipes of furnaces, fireplaces, water heaters and clothes dryers should also be kept clear.
- If you suspect a gas leak, leave the area immediately. Do not do anything that could create a spark (i.e., don't use cell phones, switches or lighters). If you are outside, clear the area and do not use lighters or start vehicles. Call 613-546-1181, ext. 2151 when you are safe.
Suspect a problem with your gas meter equipment? Call Utilities Kingston at 613-546-1181. Union Gas customers in the east and west of the city can call 1-877-969-0999. If your gas heat is not working, contact a qualified heating contractor.
Protect internal plumbing from freezing
With the extreme cold forecast for this weekend, Utilities Kingston also reminds customers to protect water pipes from freezing. Extended periods of extremely cold weather can put internal plumbing at risk, especially service lines located against foundation walls, exposed pipes located in exterior walls, unheated basements and crawl spaces.
Know how to check for water lines that may be at risk of freezing and get preventative tips at www.utilitieskingston.com
Know what to do in the event of a storm
Severe weather can cause power outages and downed power lines, as well as put your basement at risk of flooding. Visit www.utilitieskingston.com to learn how to be prepared.
About Utilities Kingston
Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, media relations officer for Utilities Kingston at 613-546-4291, ext. 3116.