Utilities Kingston restores three unrelated and unplanned power outages - Utilities Kingston restores three unrelated and unplanned power outages
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Utilities Kingston restores three unrelated and unplanned power outages
May 30, 2018 -
Utilities Kingston thanks customers for their patience as they endured three power outages over the last three days. The utility company clarifies that the outages were entirely unrelated. Customers can be assured of the continued safety and reliability of Utilities Kingston's electricity services.
- This morning's outage was due to animal interference at Municipal Substation Number 2 (MS2) in the Victoria Park area. The animal contact took down two circuits. Approximately 2,500 customers were affected, and crews restored power in under two hours.
- Yesterday, 9,000 Utilities Kingston customers lost power when a boom truck took down a line in Hydro One's west end distribution area. The accident disrupted one of the main power circuits that feeds the distribution system in central Kingston. Utilities Kingston crews re-routed power and restored its customers in under an hour.
- On Monday evening, 1,400 customers in the Victoria Park area experienced a two-hour outage due to equipment failure at MS2. We have determined that failure occurred inside a transformer. Repairs are being prioritized. Residents and businesses in this area should expect a planned power outage. Utilities Kingston will communicate the details in advance, with apologies for the inconvenience.
To help ensure the reliability of the distribution system, Utilities Kingston conducts several programs, including: proactive tree trimming, regular pole inspection, infrared scanning and capital investment in substations, and overhead and underground equipment. This work renews aging infrastructure, reduces outages due to tree limbs contacting wires, and identifies trouble spots before problems occur.
While Utilities Kingston is confident in the reliability of the electricity distribution system, customers are reminded to be prepared in the event of power outages:
- Stay informed of planned and unplanned power outages: https://utilitieskingston.com/Outages/PowerOutageNotification
- Know your electricity provider and who to contact in case of a power outage: view a map of Kingston's three electricity providers.
- Plan ahead by reviewing our power outage precautions. For example:
- Consider a source of back-up power for important building systems, including sump pumps.
- Keep a phone that does not require electricity.
- Know safe installation and other precautions to avoid dangers associated with generators.
- The City of Kingston offers a helpful resource to help you and your family prepare for an emergency. Check it out on their website (www.CityofKingston.ca/GetReady). We recommend that all property owners maintain a kit which includes candles, a flashlight, batteries and a battery powered radio.
If you depend on electrically-powered medical equipment, consider having the following:
- a backup phone that does not require electricity
- an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) connected at all times
- back-up generation available
- alternative arrangements in place (such as staying with family or friends)
Media contact: For more information contact 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect with Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston