News & Public Notices
Utilities Kingston urges customers to report gas smells, obey alarms
November 29, 2016 -
Did you know that an odourant is added to natural gas so that you can smell it in case of a gas leak? This compound – mercaptan – has a strong ‘rotten egg' smell that helps keep you safe.
"Modern gas appliances are very safe and are installed by specially trained and licensed contractors. But you should know that a rotten-egg smell could be a sign that something is wrong. Know how to react if you smell rotten eggs, or if you hear your carbon monoxide alarm go off," says Utilities Kingston vice president Nancy Taylor.
Request a scratch-and-sniff sticker so you know the rotten-egg smell associated with natural gas: email email@example.com.
As winter approaches, and more gas-fueled appliances are in use, Utilities Kingston urges its customers to heed the following gas safety tips:
Report gas smells or "hissing":
- If you are inside and smell gas or hear hissing, leave immediately. Do not do anything that could create a spark – don't switch a light on or off, and don't use cell phones or lighters, for example.
- If you are outside, clear the area and do not use lighters or start vehicles.
- Indoors or out, call 613-546-1181, ext. 2151 when you are safe.
Install and obey carbon monoxide (CO) alarms:
- CO is an invisible, odourless gas that can kill you in high concentrations.
- If your CO alarm goes off, immediately evacuate all occupants (pets, too!) and call 911.
- Ontario's Fire Code requires alarms near all sleeping areas in homes with fuel-burning appliances, such as furnaces, stoves or fireplaces. It also applies to all residences with attached garages.
Utilities Kingston has been providing safe and reliable gas services since 1847 when it was known as Kingston Gas and Light Company.
For more details on natural gas and its safe use, see www.utilitieskingston.com/Gas/SafeFuel.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, communications officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect with Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston