News & Public Notices
Utilities Kingston warns: be wary of door-to-door sales people
December 21, 2015 -
Utilities Kingston continues to receive reports from residents who have been approached by door-to-door water filtration system sales people who are misrepresenting themselves as being from Utilities Kingston or providing other false information.
Utilities Kingston does not sell water filtration systems door-to-door and advises consumers to understand their rights and be wary when dealing with door-to-door sales people.
Customers are reminded:
- Always make sure you get a business card and look at the salesperson's ID badge first.
- Ask to see their City-issued licence to sell door-to-door in Kingston.
- Don't share personal information (i.e., your gas or electricity bill) unless you are sure you want to sign a contract.
- Carefully read the contract, disclosure statement and price comparison provided by the salesperson.
- You do not have to let sales people in your home or even open your door. Remember, you have the right to ask sales people to leave your property. If they don't, then contact police.
- The Consumer Protection Act gives you special rights when you buy something in your home (e.g., at your door) that costs more than $50. For example, you have the right to cancel a contract for any reason within a 10 calendar-day cooling-off period, with the exception of water heater contracts for which you have a cooling-off period of 20 days.
"Kingston's water is regularly tested, meets or exceeds quality standards and is completely safe to drink. While installing a home water filtration system remains the choice of the homeowner, it is not required," says Jim Keech, president and CEO for Utilities Kingston.
Learn more about your consumer rights at www.UtilitiesKingston.com.
Media contact: For more information contact 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect with Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston