News & Public Notices
Utilities Kingston warns customers: Ask for identification at the door
January 28, 2016 -
If someone is at your door, claiming to represent Utilities Kingston or their contractor Neptune Technology Inc., here is what to do: ask to see their Utilities Kingston identification or their Utilities Kingston contractor ID and Neptune ID.
Our customer service representatives can confirm valid ID numbers when you call 613-546-0000, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Utilities Kingston has received reports from residents who have been approached by people going door-to-door and misrepresenting themselves as being contracted by Utilities Kingston or providing other false information. They appear to be doing this in order to gain access to homes to inspect furnaces or water heaters, or sell water filtration systems.
Utilities Kingston wants customers to know that Neptune Technology Group will visit homes and businesses in Kingston in order to replace end-of-life water meters. Technicians will always be in uniform and carry Utilities Kingston contractor ID.
However, Neptune does not make unannounced ‘cold calls' at the door. As Neptune installers move into your area, you will receive an informational pamphlet by mail, which contains all necessary booking information along with details about the installation program. Watch for an appointment pamphlet in the mail and then follow the instructions to schedule an appointment.
Customers are reminded:
- Always make sure you get a business card and look at the salesperson's ID badge first.
- Don't share personal information (i.e., your gas or electricity bill).
- Neptune or Utilities Kingston technicians will not ask you to sign a contract at the door. They will ask you to enter your signature in a handheld device before and after they complete work to replace the water meter at your home.
- Neptune or Utilities Kingston technicians will not ask you to provide a void cheque, or credit card information at the door.
- You do not have to let sales people in your home or even open your door. Remember, you have the right to ask sales people to leave your property. If they don't, then contact police.
Learn more about your consumer rights and about the water meter replacement program when you visit www.utilitieskingston.com Have you been approached by somebody going door-to-door who concerned you? Contact 613-546-0000 to let us know during regular business hours, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. – 5p.m.
Media contact: For more information contact 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect with Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston