Parkland contributes to the quality of life for residents – and many of the community's broader objectives connected to public health, the environment, social/community development and economics.
To make sure the public has parkland as new communities are developed and old ones re-developed, council approved a consolidated Parkland dedication bylaw (2013-107).
When a property is developed or redeveloped, a certain amount of land for parkland, or other recreational facilities or trails, must be set aside for public use. This helps increase of the number of public parks to serve the growing population of Kingston with recreation or leisure opportunities.
Obtaining parkland is a City's priority. However, in certain cases, where the City does not find the land to be desirable for parkland, a cash-in-lieu of parkland conveyance or a combination of land and cash may be accepted.
These rates shall only apply if the City deems land is not required for the development proposal. Refer to Bylaw 2013-107 on the application of these cash-in-lieu rates.
Application Type & Rate
- Consent to create a new single residential dwelling in the urban area (not applicable for subdivisions) - $1882.09 per lot
- Consent to create a new single residential dwelling in the rural area (not applicable for subdivisions) - $1226.83 per lot
- Maximum per unit rate within the Downtown and Harbour Special Policy area - $1309.53 per unit
- Maximum per unit rate within the Downtown and Harbour Special Policy area and a heritage development or an affordable housing development - $654.76 per unit
- Maximum per unit rate within the Williamsville Main Street - $2095.25 per unit
- Maximum per unit rate outside of Downtown and Harbour Special Policy area and Williamsville Main Street - $5238.12 per unit
Natural Lands and Parkland Acquisition Policy
The Natural Lands and Parkland Acquisition Policy helps guide the City in prioritizing the acquisition of natural lands and parkland. This is a process that is above the requirements of the Planning Act in order to meet the targeted needs for parkland to provide a greater quality of life in Kingston.