Site Alteration Bylaw & Permit

Nested Applications


Content - City Hall - Site Alteration Project

Site Alteration Bylaw Update

The City is proposing changes to the Site Alteration Bylaw.

Second Draft

After reviewing the information received at the public open house and through consultation with stakeholders, a second draft of the Site Alteration Bylaw has been completed.

The proposed changes will be presented to the Rural Advisory Committee meeting Monday, Feb. 6.


Content - City Hall - Site Alteration Permits

The Site Alteration Bylaw (2008-128) regulates the placing or dumping of fill, the removal of topsoil, and the alteration of the grade of land on property within the City as of June 17, 2008.
In order to alter the grade of the land on property that is greater than one hectare (2.5 acres) in size, or is adjacent to an environmentally sensitive area, property owners may need to obtain a Site Alteration Permit.


The Bylaw does not apply to lands that are regulated by the Conservation Authority's fill regulations.
Other exemptions to the Bylaw include:
  • lands less than one hectare (2.5 acres) in size;
  • the installation of a swimming pool, provided a pool permit is obtained;
  • minor landscaping projects;
  • normal farm practices; and,
  • development that is undertaken with the appropriate Planning Approvals and Building Permits.
For a full listing of the requirements and exemptions, residents are advised to consult the Site Alteration Bylaw (2008-128). The Bylaw is also available in-person at the municipal offices at 1211 John Counter Blvd.


links-city hall-Site Alteration Permits

contact-Residents-Site Alteration Permit