Bus Operator Recruitment
Bus Operator Recruitment
Content - City Hall - Careers - Bus Operators
Do you have experience working in hospitality, retail or service industries? Do you strive to provide exceptional customer service?
Become a bus operator with Kingston Transit
Kingston Transit is expanding and we are hiring a pool of talented individuals. Are you looking for a new rewarding career? Consider applying to be a bus operator.
Kingston Transit is rapidly expanding
Between 2011 & 2016, ridership increased by more than 33 per cent, the highest growth in Canada. A recent investment in transit from the Federal & Provincial government will continue to support Kingston Transit over the next decade and will help further enhance transit networks & service extensions to benefit Kingstonians.
Kingston Transit is looking for individuals who have great people skills, are customer-friendly, and have a desire to serve the public. If you are a people-person and have a safe driving record, Kingston Transit will train and help you upgrade your license.
Benefits of Position
- Probationary wage: $20.45 /hr
- After probation: $24.35 - $29.90 /hr
- Scheduled raises in 2020 (1.5%)
- Eligible for benefits and OMERS pension
- Guaranteed 18-24 hours a week with the ability to work up to 40 hours a week based on vacancies
Are you Qualified?
- No experience with driving a large vehicle is required. We will provide you with six weeks of paid training to upgrade your G to a CZ license
- Resume must showcase a customer focused work background to highlight your ability to interact with customers during each shift
- Valid Class G driver's license with five years of driving experience and a clean driver's record/abstract
- Must have your grade 12 diploma or equivalent education
Interested applicants are encouraged to check out the following to see if you have what it takes to deliver this important service to Kingston residents:
- View the Come On Board! video outlining a day in the life of a Bus Operator;
- Take the Bus Operator Self-Quiz;
- Read through the Recruitment Guide and Kingston Transit On the Move;
- My Story – Bus operators share their story on finding their my dream job; and
- Other pages of this website to learn more about Kingston Transit.
Applicants should be aware that the hiring process may take up to two months. Successful applicants will receive on-the-job training that may take up to six weeks in order to receive a license upgrade, on-bus and other operational and service training. New recruits will be paid during the training process. Start dates will be staggered.
If you're looking for job satisfaction, excellent benefits, and professional development, Kingston Transit is where you want to be.
More details about this career, including job requirements, can be found in the job posting. Applications will be accepted until December 31, 2019.
Take the Job for a Test-Drive
The best way to get a feel for the job is to watch a Kingston Transit bus driver at work. We recommend a round trip on Route 4 (60 minutes) or Express route 501 (54 minutes) starting at the Cataraqui Centre or Downtown. (Regular fare payment will be required). You can also plan your own trip on the Trip Planner.