Voter FAQ's

Who can vote?

You can vote in Kingston's municipal byelection if you are:

  • at least 18 years old; and
  • not prohibited from voting under any law; and
  • a resident in District 1 – Countryside or
  • a non-resident of Kingston and you or your spouse own or rent property in District 1 - Countryside.


You may only vote once in the City of Kingston municipal byelection regardless of how many properties you own or rent in Countryside - District 1.

Who cannot vote?

You are prohibited from voting on voting day if you are:

  • a person serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution
  • a corporation
  • a person acting as executor or trustee or in another representative capacity, except as a voting proxy
  • a person convicted of a corrupt practice described in section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996

Voting by proxy

Under Section 44 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 an elector may act on behalf of only one qualified elector who is not a relative or one or more qualified electors who are relatives, using separate proxy forms for each.  A relative means the parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister or spouse of the elector appointed.  Even if an elector is eligible to vote in more than one municipality he/she can only vote as a proxy for one non-relative.

Proxy Voting Procedure


Any person whose name is on the voting list or who has been added by revision may vote by proxy.  There are no limitations on who may vote by proxy provided they are on the voters' list.

A person wishing to appoint a proxy voter must do so on the prescribed form.

Not more than one voting proxy may be appointed on behalf of any one person.

The person appointed must be entitled to be an elector.

Time Frame

The appointment may only be made after the last date for withdrawal of nominations, (April 3, 2017 unless additional nominations are required).

No application shall be approved by the Clerk after 5:00 p.m. on final voting day (May 15, 2017).

Proxy forms can be distributed after 2:00 p.m. March 31, 2017 but the forms shall not be approved until after April 3, 2017.

Appointment Restrictions

A person appointed as a proxy may only act for one person who is not a relative but can act as proxy for any number of relatives (including spouses or siblings, parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren).

Please note that the Witness to the signature of the Elector making Appointment cannot be the same person as the Elector being Appointed.

Processing Procedure

The person appointed a voting proxy shall complete, in duplicate, an application in the prescribed form, including a statutory declaration that the person is the person appointed as a voting proxy, and shall bring both copies of the form in person to the Clerk at the Election Office, 216 Ontario Street, at City Hall, during normal office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) or during the period from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. on an Advance Voting Day and before 5:00 p.m. on Final Voting Day.

The Clerk or designate shall, if satisfied that the person who appointed the voting proxy is qualified to appoint a proxy and the person so appointed is qualified to act as a proxy voter, give a certificate in the prescribed form. The voting proxy shall provide identification, in order to complete the affidavit on the form. The original of Form 119 shall then be given to the person appointed as the proxy voter and the copy is to be retained in the office of the Clerk.

A database shall be implemented on the computer system at the Election Office to track appointments.  The Clerk shall enter or cause to be entered the name of the person appointed as the proxy voter, together with the name of the person making the appointment, into the data base.  This procedure shall ensure that a person is unable to vote as a proxy more than once for persons other than family members.

Post-secondary students

There is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school. If you are a student and consider your "home" to be the place where you live when you are not attending school, which means you plan on returning there, then you are eligible to vote in both your "home" municipality and in the municipality where you currently live while attending school.

Important terms

Resident elector

Your residence is where you live. If you live in a municipality, then you are eligible to vote in that municipality's election. You are only allowed to have one residence in a municipality.

Non-resident elector

If you live in one municipality, and own or rent property in another municipality, you are eligible to vote in each municipality's election. 

Spouse of a non-resident elector

If your spouse qualifies as a non-resident elector in a municipality, then you can also vote in that municipality's election.

The Voter Information Notice

The Voter Information Notice that every elector on the voters' list receives informs the elector where and when to vote. Listed on the notice are the Election Day and advance vote dates and times. There will be three vote anywhere polls.

Two important items to remember to bring when you go to the voting place:

  • Voter Information Notice
  • Voter identification document as described below

Acceptable documents for voter identification

You must present one of the following documents showing your name and address:

  • Ontario Driver's Licence
  • Ontario Health Card (photo card)
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
  • Cancelled personalized cheque
  • Mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
  • Insurance policy or insurance statement
  • Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
  • Document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
  • Income tax assessment notice
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS)
  • Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Property tax assessment
  • Credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
  • CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
  • Hospital card or record
  • Document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
  • Document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
  • Utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
  • Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
  • Transcript or report card from a post-secondary school