City welcomes post-secondary students
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null City welcomes post-secondary students
August 25, 2014 -
The City welcomes new and returning Queen's University, Royal Military College and St. Lawrence College students to town with information on how to use and enjoy a variety of City services.
"Welcome back students! Kingston is proud to be home of three world-class postsecondary institutions, attracting students from across the globe," said Mayor Mark Gerretsen. "The city comes alive this time of year as we welcome new and returning students to our community. I encourage students to get out and explore their new community and experience all that Kingston has to offer."
Find City information of interest at www.CityofKingston.ca/students. Follow the City on Twitter @CityofKingston and join the conversation at #ygkstudents.
"City service, facility and program staff are familiar with the needs of post-secondary students who are such an important part of the life of Kingston. Please don't hesitate to ask the City any question you might have in-person, online or by phone," said Gerard Hunt, Chief Administrative Officer for the City.
The City's Customer Service Centre (www.CityofKingston.ca/contact-us or 613-546-0000) is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Get set to take on the year with these services:
Be ready for Garbage, Green Bin and Recylcing Collection
The City picks up one untagged bag/container of garbage (20kgs or under) per household per week – plus Green Bin organic waste and Blue or Grey Box recyclables. Your Blue Box (plastic, glass, metal containers, and Styrofoam, etc.) goes out one week, your Grey Box (paper, boxboard and plastic bags etc.) the next.
- Student move-in, two-bag special: the City picks up two untagged bags of garbage on your first collection day after Labour Day.
- Get collection reminders: Sign-up to be reminded what to put out when by text, phone or email: go to www.CityofKingston.ca/collection or get the free ‘Kingston Waste' app for your mobile device from the Google Play or the iTunes App Store.
- Get Bag Tags: Have more than one bag of garbage a week? You need bag tags. Find out where to get them, or order them online: www.CityofKingston.ca/garbage
- Get Blue and Grey recycling boxes at City Hall, 216 Ontario St. Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or the Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC) at 196 Lappan's Lane, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. KARC also has free Green Bins.
Set up your Utilities Kingston account
- For water, wastewater, gas and electricity services, open your Utilities Kingston account online at www.utilitieskingston.com/openaccount.aspx or call 613-546-0000.
- Please provide at least five business days to get set-up up for your requested date. Only the person whose name is on the bill can make changes or close the account.
- If your meter is sealed, someone 18 or older must be at the service address to attend the reconnection, which will turn on your power.
- Once you've received and paid your first bill, you can register for access to the MyUtilities customer portal. Use MyUtilities to view your household consumption of water, gas and electricity, as well as your transaction and payment history at https://my.utilitieskingston.com/app/
- Keep in touch with your local utility company on Twitter @utilitieskngstn and Facebook /UtilitiesKingston
Plan to use Kingston Transit
- Explore the town on Kingston Transit using your Queen's or St. Lawrence student card and Google Transit. Plan your trip at www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
Media contact: For more information call the City of Kingston's media hotline at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.