Kingston Fire & Rescue encourages residents to leave fireworks to the experts
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Kingston Fire & Rescue encourages residents to leave fireworks to the experts
June 28, 2019 -
To minimize the risk of fire and burn injuries this Canada Day weekend, Kingston Fire & Rescue urges residents to attend the firework display hosted by the municipality instead of family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays.
"If you're looking to enjoy fireworks, consider attending the City's Canada Day celebrations on July 1. There will be a fireworks display at 10 p.m. at Confederation Basin," says chief fire prevention officer Ted Posadowski. "For everyone else, fireworks can be extremely dangerous. For this reason, family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays are not recommended."
If you still choose to have a family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display, check with your local fire department about regulations regarding fireworks. Questions can be directed to the fire prevention division at 548-4001, ext. 5123. Information about fireworks and other outdoor safety can also be found at: www.cityofkingston.ca/residents/emergency-services/kingston-fire-rescue/safety-prevention/outdoor.
Here are some important safety tips to be followed:
- Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
- Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
- Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
- Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
- Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
- Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
- Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.
- Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
- If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.