News & Public Notices
Regular tickets on-sale at The Grand Theatre
August 26, 2013 -
The wait is over! When The Grand Theatre's box office opens on Monday, August 26, 2013 at 12-noon, regular tickets to The Grand Theatre's 2013-2014 season will go on sale. This greatly-anticipated annual event generates a long line of theatre-enthusiasts at the box office as well as online at kingstongrand.ca. Patrons will be able to buy tickets to individual shows without having to purchase a subscription. "Pick 4 or More" subscriptions are available all season and save patrons up to 15% off ticket prices when 4 or more different shows are purchased .
This is traditionally the Grand Theatre's biggest sale-day of the year and savvy arts patrons know why this is the most eagerly anticipated cultural shopping event in Kingston. This year's exciting season is jam-packed with over 30 different shows, booked with a decidedly "I love Canada" flavour.
- Canadian comedy icon Mary Walsh brings her critically acclaimed stage show, "Dancing With Rage" to kick off the Grand's season on September 27, 2013.
- Canadian singer-songwriter Ron Sexsmith, guitarist Jesse Cook, a rare acoustic show with Colin James, and the multi-Juno acclaimed Blackie & the Rodeo Kings are prepared to lift the roof off of the Grand.
- And what would the holidays be without Canada's favourite family performing for the holidays in Leahy Family Christmas?
- Even the traditional The Nutcracker performance gets a twist that's sweeter than Canadian maple syrup. Ballet Jörgen is prepared to delight us all with snowflakes, lumberjacks, Mounties and creatures of the woods with The Nutcracker, A Canadian Tradition.
- Dance by Canadian artists take centre stage with Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal, where shirtless athletic dancers perform three contemporary original pieces in an approach that is sexy, explosive and dynamic.
- Kids of all ages will be delighted with Quebec's Sursaut Dance Company's performance of Boo!, combining dance, mime, clown and circus vignettes.
- Kingston audiences have never seen anything like Compagnie Virginie Brunelle: Complexe des genres. Founded in Montréal, this acclaimed dance company has presented their emotionally raw and emotive creations on international stages.
- Also from Montréal is 7 Fingers presenting Traces. If you love Cirque de Soleil, 7 Fingers will amaze with their high-risk acrobatics, music, song, dance and narrative to tell their story as they bring circus acrobatics to human scale.
Other countries from around the world are represented in the Grand's 2013/14 season.
- From India, "Sampradaya presents Taj", which is an edge-of-your-seat telling of love story which created the Taj Mahal.
- From Hungary, Gypsy Romance will be presented by the Hungarian State Folk Ensemble, one of the greatest folkloric dance companies in the world whose costumes and traditions and lively choreography speak volumes in any language.
- Theatrically speaking, there is only One/Un. This one-man show by Mani Soleymanlou traces his own journey from Iran to his current residence in Montréal in a stellar performance full of love, humour and passion.
- From the United States, multi-Grammy winners, The Manhattan Transfer, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Jon Batiste, Take 6 and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy will remind us that "you and me and the bottle makes three."
For a complete look at the entire 2013/14 Grand Theatre season, pick up a free brochure at the Grand Theatre box office, 218 Princess Street, Kingston, ON. Series and performance details are also available online at www.kingstongrand.ca. Season brochures are gladly mailed by request at no charge through the box office by calling 613-530-2050.
Heartfelt thanks to the Grand Theatre Foundation and its individual donors and corporate sponsors. The 13-14 Grand Theatre Presents Season sponsors include Homestead Land Holdings, Four Points by Sheraton Kingston, Empire Life, CIBC Children's Foundation, Walter Fenlon & Linda Ann Daly, Sun Life Financial, Caldwell Wealth & Estate Advisory Ltd. , Matheson Dental Clinic, Canadian Tire Kingston Stores, Assante Wealth Management Dianne Lackonick, Shoalts and Zaback Architects Ltd., Stan & Marie-Rose Gibson, Mackillop Law, Elaine & Michael Davies, Chez Piggy, Southeastern Communication Services, Bergeron Clifford LLP, and TD Canada Trust. Program Supporters are Canada Council for the Arts, Canadian Heritage, Ontario Arts Council and City of Kingston.
Contact: Julie Fossitt, Marketing Administrator, Kingston Cultural Services Department(613) 546-4291 ext. 1143 or firstname.lastname@example.org.