Airport Expansion - About
About the Project
Kingston Airport is expanding!
The expansion of Kingston Airport is one of the major strategic initiatives of council.
The City of Kingston is getting ready to expand Kingston Airport's terminal and extend its runway. The airport will remain open for business throughout the $16.1 million upgrade work.
See the plans for expansion in the Airport Infrastructure Project Definition Document.
An Environmental Assessment for extension of the runway was completed in 2016. It included detailed and comprehensive public consultations.
This year Transport Canada implemented new regulations (called the "Aerodrome Work Consultations Regulations") which apply to runway extensions As a result, the City conducted an additional consultation on the proposed runway work this summer. See the resulting report on the Aerodrome Work Consultation.
The City intends to start work this fall, including:
- Extending the runway from 4,929 ft. to 6,000 ft. enabling aircraft to take off with more distance available, pushing aircraft higher over residential areas.
- Maintaining the same landing points to keep landing aircraft no lower than today.
- Installing a new approach lighting system on airport land to improve reliability.
- All improvements to be certified to the highest standards of Transport Canada.
Starting in late October the terminal will be expanded and reconfigured to increase the number of passengers that can be accommodated. All upgrades will comply with international airport standards and the City and passengers can look forward to:
- Check-in, baggage processing and delivery systems that can comfortably handle peak demand.
- Enhanced accessibility features.
- Improved energy efficiency.
Here are some drawings of how the upgraded terminal will look (click for larger view):
History of the Kingston Airport
- 70,000+ people travel through Kingston Airport each year.
- Air Canada offers seven flights a day between Kingston and Toronto.
- The business case to expand the airport outlines that the Kingston market generates more than 650,000 passengers a year.