Doug Fluhrer Park Project
This 2.85 hectare (7 acre) waterfront park is located on the Cataraqui River north of Anglin Bay and south of Molly Brant Point. The park is bound on its east side by the Kingston Inner Harbour, on the west by the extension of Wellington Street and on the south by the Kingston Marina. An arm of the park extends south around the east side of the marina to the entrance into Anglin Bay.
This stretch of the waterfront known as the Inner Harbour was a former commercial port from the mid 1800's to the early 19th century. The former Canadian Pacific and Grand Trunk Railways brought goods and services by rail to warehouses and large wharves established in the Inner Harbour. Over time wharf extensions and filling in of the water lots created a land mass between the tracks what is now the site known as Douglas R. Fluhrer Park.
Final Design Approved
Based on extensive public consultation, the final design of the conceptual master plan was approved by Council on April 15, 2014.
The final plan includes the following elements:
- Canoe and kayak access
- Enhanced play opportunities
- Improved access
- Interpretation through emulation and signage
- Open space for gatherings
- Pathway improvements
- Park greening
- Shoreline improvements