Princess St. Reconstruction 2013-2014
Princess Street is Kingston's street. It's where we go to shop, meet, dine and enjoy our vibrant, lively, healthy and historic downtown. We are built around it. Princess Street is our spine. And we're taking good care of it.
In 2010, the City began remaking history on Princess Street by beautifully reconstructing it between Lake Ontario and King Street East. The rebuilding continues in 2013-14 between King Street East and Bagot Street. To learn more, see the list of 2011–1014 Infrastructure Projects. This project is part of the City's Downtown Action Plan.
- Cost is approximately $6.5 million
- Sanitary pipe – 550 meters
- Storm pipe – 550 meters
- Watermain – 600 meters
- Asphalt – 7,000 sq meters
- Concrete sidewalks – 3,400 sq meters
- Concrete pavers (sidewalk blvd) – 700 sq meters
- Granite curbs – 625 meters
2013/2014 Reconstruction schedule
Here's how the construction schedule breaks down:
Mid-February to April 2013
- King Street closed from Princess Street to Queen Street.
- Princess Street closed from King Street to Wellington Street.
April to May 2013
- Wellington Street closed from Princess Street to Brock Street.
- Princess Street closed from King Street to Wellington Street and from Wellington Street to Bagot Street.
- King Street from Princess Street to Queen Street will close for a period in May for paving.
- Both Wellington and King Streets will open on base asphalt in May.
- Bagot Street closes from Brock to Queen Street in May (remains closed until September).
May to July 2013
- All pipe work (except tie-ins) to be completed on Princess Street.
- All of Princess Street opens to traffic on June 29 - just in time for Canada Day celebrations!
July to August 2013
- Surface features (e.g. landscaping, street furniture placement) to be completed on Princess Street from King Street to Bagot Street.
- Work continues on Bagot Street between Queen Street and Brock Street.
September to October 2013
- Bagot Street reopens from Brock Street to Queen Street.
- Wellington Street closes from Brock St. to Princess Street.
- Finishing road work on all side streets.
- All side streets will be paved and opened to traffic by December 5 2013.
- Finishing touches (will include adding surface asphalt to side streets, and the installation of lamp posts, street furniture, planters, etc.).
- Complete road closures are not expected.
- Work on finishing touches, such as landscaping and surface features (asphalt and concrete), on Wellington and Brock Street may carry over to the spring of 2014.
- It is important to remember that various unforeseen circumstances can impact the schedule (archaeological discoveries, environmental hazards, poor weather conditions), resulting in delays.