Proposed Napier Street Closure
Council has asked City staff to examine the implications of closing this stretch of Napier Street, between Brock and Mack.
On July 11, 2017, Council endorsed the following motion:
That Council approve the closure of Napier Street and the transfer of a portion of Napier Street in order to create a driveway entrance for 244 Mack Street it being understood that:
- a portion of the existing Napier Street right-of-way will be added to the adjacent property located at 244 Mack Street, a width of six to nine metres, to extend the southerly limit of the subject property;
- the southern portion of Napier Street will be closed and the asphalt will remain in place;
- access to the unopened street will be blocked with bollards; and
- approximate cost to transfer a portion of Napier Street to the owners at 244 Mack Street for a driveway entrance is $60,000 – $80,000.
Community Services staff will proceed with the closure and the transfer of a portion of Napier Street to create a driveway entrance for 244 Mack Street pursuant to the conditions listed in the approved Council motion.
Motion to examine closing Napier Street
Made at Nov. 1, 2016 Council meeting
Whereas Williamsville District currently has the lowest parkland per capita ratio in Kingston; and
Whereas even with the acquisition of 671 Brock Street the local residents remain concerned about having adequate greenspace at that location; and
Whereas Churchill Park, adjacent across Napier Street from 671 Brock Street, is primarily occupied by permanent natural fixtures with no open space for ball games and other play areas for children; and
Whereas the proposed housing developments on 671 Brock Street would need adequate parking; and
Whereas the current use of the block of Napier Street in Mack Street and Brock Street is that of a secondary road with low traffic volume;
Therefore Be It Resolved That staff examine the implications to traffic and local residents on closing that one block of Napier Street to motor vehicle traffic only, and report back, in Q1 2017, with options that would increase the amount of parkland space, as well as parking space for potential housing nearby.
Responding to the Council motion from Nov. 1, 2016, staff reported back with options in a July 11, 2017 Council report.
Staff reviewed options ranging from status quo to various permanent closure of Napier Street between Brock Street and Mack Street. Possible options include:
- Continue with existing road as is; or
- Close the entire subject section and providing an easement or selling the land to the owner of 244 Mack Street to retain access to the private driveway; or
- Retain the roadway pavement from Mack Street to approximately halfway between Mack Street and Brock Street where a cul-de-sac will be constructed.
The portion of Napier Street under discussion runs between Churchill Park and 671 Brock St., a former school property. That property is under consideration to be redeveloped to include public parkland, affordable housing and private market housing. View the details on the 671 Brock St project.