North King's Town - About
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The North King's Town area is comprised of the Inner Harbour and the Old Industrial Area – both identified as detailed planning areas in the City's Official Plan.
In the 1980s, these areas had secondary plans completed that were never fully implemented. The age of the associated planning studies – and public interest in the proposed Wellington Street Extension – led to the decision to undertake a secondary planning process for the combined area in 2016.
The first phase of the project involved the creation of a long-term community vision, planning principles, and design directions to realize opportunities for this area and promote a sustainable, healthy, vibrant and livable community.
The second phase of the project will involve a number of technical studies, including land use, transportation, servicing, and cultural heritage. Part of the process will include exploring transportation options and alternatives to the proposed Wellington Street Extension.
View the latest updates page for more information about the work being done in each phase of the secondary plan.
The North King's Town Secondary Plan area includes the northern two-thirds of the King's Town electoral district and a portion of the Kingscourt-Rideau electoral district. Located between Highway 401 and historic downtown Kingston, the area is bounded by:
- John Counter Boulevard and the CN rail line to the north;
- the Great Cataraqui River to the east (part of the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage site);
- the Central Business District (designated in the Official Plan) to the south; and
- Division Street to the east.
Community inventory and background report
To better understand the existing characteristics of the North King's Town area and how it has changed over time, the City has prepared the North King's Town Community Inventory and Background Report. It offers basic planning information to help provide a context for the secondary planning process. Since the background report was completed, the project area has been expanded based on the work of the first phase that is outlined in the Visioning Report and Preliminary Market Analysis.
Phase 1 – Community Vision & Preliminary Market Analysis
The first phase of the project involved a community visioning exercise and a preliminary market analysis. The terms of reference for Phase 1 were approved by council at its December 1, 2015 meeting, and the City issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to hire a consulting team to assist with the work.
On April 5, 2016, council approved the hire of a team of consultants lead by DIALOG to introduce the study to the community and see how it would like this area to change and grow. The results from this project will inform the terms of reference for the next phase of the secondary planning process.
Phase 2 – Secondary Plan Technical Studies
The City will be issuing a request for proposals (RFP) in the near future to hire a consulting team to assist with the technical studies for Phase 2 of the NKT Secondary Plan. Check the latest updates page for information about Phase 2 and the RFP process.
The City has created this North King's Town Secondary Plan Community Working Group with:
- Two members of council;
- One representative of a local First Nations group;
- One representative of Heritage Kingston;
- One representative of the municipal accessibility advisory committee (MAAC);
- One representative of the Kingston Environmental Advisory Forum (KEAF);
- One representative of the Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority (CRCA);
- One representative of the Kingston Economic Development Corporation (KEDCO);
- One representative of the Greater Kingston Chamber of Commerce;
- One representative of KFL&A Public Health; and
- Six community members
City of Kingston
- Paige Agnew - Director, planning, building and licensing
- Greg Newman - Manager, policy planning
- Sonya Bolton - Senior planner and project manager
Phase 1: Visioning Report & Preliminary Market Analysis
- DIALOG Inc. - Land-use planning, urban design, architecture, and landscape architecture
- Hemson Consulting Limited - Market feasibility and analysis
- Soskolne Associates - Real estate development and brownfield redevelopment
- Steer Davies Gleave - Transportation planning
Phase 2: Secondary Plan Technical Studies
The City will be issuing a request for proposals (RFP) in the near future to hire a consulting team to assist with the technical studies for Phase 2 of the NKT Secondary Plan. Stay tuned to the latest updates page for information about this phase and the RFP process.