Richardson Beach Project
About the Project
Richardson Beach in Macdonald Memorial Park is a favourite destination along the waterfront. Improvements to the beach area were identified as the top priority in the Waterfront Master Plan, which was approved by Council on March 22, 2016. The design work for the improvements will occur in 2017 and 2018 and the implementation of those works are anticipated to occur in 2019 and 2020, subject to budget approval. The proposed works include improved gathering spaces, access to the water and shoreline improvements.
The historic Richardson Bathhouse, also located in Macdonald Memorial Park, will be upgraded and made accessible for all members of the community. The proposed improvements to the bathhouse include improvements to the existing washrooms to meet current accessibility standards, new separate changing areas and renovation of the building's central interior foyer. The works are scheduled to be undertaken in 2018.
Type: Park Improvements
Start date: October 2017
Projected end date: Spring 2018
- Fall 2017: Public engagement
- Winter 2018: Open house #2. Draft design drawings for Richardson Beach and an update on the bathhouse renovations will be presented.
- Winter 2018: Development of final draft concepts for Richardson Beach improvements
- Spring 2018: Open house #3.
- Spring 2018: Bathhouse renovations begin
- Summer 2019: Beach and shoreline works begin (subject to budget approval).
- Oct. 24, 2017: Open house to receive feedback on proposed improvements in person
- Oct. 25-Nov. 24, 2017: Online survey and feedback being received on proposed improvements.
- Dec. 20: Presentation to Heritage Committee
- Feb. 7: Open house to share initial concepts for improvements to Richardson Beach and an update on Richardson Bathhouse renovations
- Early 2018: Open house #3
- Waterfront wayfinding, celebration and promotion of Kingston's waterfront
- Waterfront Master Plan
- Richardson Beach: Open house #1: precedent images, concept renderings, presentation
- Richardson Bathhouse: Open house #1: proposed improvements