Victoria Park Public Art
About the Project
Victoria Park, located in the heart of the Williamsville neighborhood is a community hub with many recreational amenities including a community rink, water conservation garden, splash pad and pedestrian bridge.
Through the recent renovation of the park, an opportunity for the installation of a permanent public art piece was identified. The proposed work is intended to enhance the experience of the park, as well as be fully accessible.
Artists who work in a diverse range of mediums and who identify as emerging, mid-career or established were encouraged to apply. This public art call was held in accordance with the City of Kingston Public Art Policy.
Art type: Permanent
Location: 487 Brock St.
- April 2018 - Request for Information issued
- May 2018 - Request for Information closed
- July 2018 - Jury meeting to select shortlisted artists
- August 2018 - Notification to shortlisted artists
- October 2018 - Request for Proposal issued
- November 2018 - Shortlisted artists site visit at Victoria Park
- April 13, 2019 - Public engagement session
- May 29, 2019 - Request for Proposal closes
- June 2019 - Jury meeting to determine selected artist
- July 2019 - Artist contracted
- August 2019 - Art fabrication
- September 2019 - Art installation
On Saturday, April 13 the City is hosting a drop-in public engagement event where the five shortlisted artists who work in a diverse range of mediums and disciplines will share their preliminary public art proposals with the public for feedback and input. At the event, residents will have the opportunity to review the proposed themes and concepts, meet the artists behind the proposals and offer their own thoughts and feedback.
Following the public open house, the artists will consider the community feedback received and finalize their concepts. A public art jury comprised of Williamsville residents, artists and arts professionals will review the submissions in spring 2019 and select the artwork that will be installed in Victoria Park later this year.
This drop-in session will take place on Saturday, April 13 from 1 - 4 p.m. in the rotunda of the Memorial Centre (303 York St.), just a 10-minute walk from Victoria Park.
Sign up to be notified of upcoming calls for artist proposals.