Waterfront Master Plan
The Waterfront Master Plan is a guiding document that organizes and prioritizes a plan for the renewal of public waterfront spaces as well as the improvement of access and the creation of a fully connected public waterfront. The plan was approved by Council on March 22, 2016.
- Provides an overall strategic approach to the implementation and improvement of the City's waterfront;
- Forms a guiding document that organizes and prioritizes a plan for the renewal of public waterfront spaces;
- Improves access to waterfront lands that are currently not accessible to the public;
- Improves connectivity along the waterfront.
- is tailored to Kingston
- links the greenspaces
- recognizes the significance of the bluespaces
- makes a connected waterfront (urban area)
- engaged the public through an inclusive approach
- respects cultural heritage
The 2016 Council endorsed Waterfront Master Plan describes a fully connected waterfront system, including improved parks and open spaces, extending from the west limit of the City at Collins Bay easterly along Lake Ontario then northerly up the Great Cataraqui River to Kingston Mills; then easterly along the St Lawrence to Abbey Dawn Road.
The plan describes a system of improved park and public recreational destination waterfront nodes in the rural areas of the City.
The Waterfront Master plan's mandate is to improve connections and access to the waterfront and increase access to lands that aren't currently accessible to the public.
Key components of the Waterfront Master Plan:
- Executive Summary
- Volume One: Background - context, community involvement, inventory and analysis
- Volume Two: Master Plan - vision, waterfront code, effecting policy, waterfront projects
- Volume 3: Implementation - project implementation, project priority, cost estimate, project forecast, land access strategy
- Appendix A: Community Engagement
- Appendix B: Project Sheets - 138 projects along the waterfront illustrated by conceptual improvements and connections
- Appendix C: Priority Matrix - project evaluation
- Appendix D: Cost Assumptions - projected costing in 2016 dollars
- Appendix E: Project Feasibility
- Appendix F: Land Access Strategy