Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable, 21st century city is fast becoming a reality.
History innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality-of-life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Kingston is home to:
- Queen's University, the Royal Military College of Canada and St. Lawrence College (we have the most PhD graduates per capita and the "smartest" workforce in Canada).
- Fort Henry and the Kingston Fortifications (part of the Rideau Canal UNESCO World Heritage site).
- The resting-place of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first Prime Minister.
- Vibrant arts, entertainment, recreation and leisure communities.
- Festivals! Events! Attractions! See the Tourism Kingston website to find out more.
- Burgeoning green technologies and alternative energy sectors. We were the first Canadian City to adopt a protocol for sustainable energy procurement.
- The best freshwater sailing harbour in North America (we hosted 1976 Olympic sailing events)
- A healthy and bustling downtown core offering a variety of independent shops and superb restaurants.
- Beautiful parks, trails and strolls steeped in history free for everyone's active enjoyment.
The City also boasts an AA Standard & Poor's financial rating and engaged City employees committed to embracing sustainable practices and encouraging their adoption by the entire community.