Image - ATMP - Cyclists - DropBike large
Content - EXP - ATMP - Cyclists - Drop Bike
Dropbike is a community bike-share program that is available for short term rentals. Users can get a bicycle at one location and drop it off at another. The dropbike system has no physical stations or hubs, but instead has designated zones (called havens) where bikes can be placed and locked, ready for the next rider.
How it Works
- Download the Dropbike app.
- Set up your account.
- Use the app to locate and unlock nearby bikes.
Who is Dropbike
Dropbike is a Canadian bike-share company. They approached the City and Queen's University with a proposal to undertake a pilot of its bike-share system in 2017, and was selected to provide the program in future years through an RFP process. For full details about the system visit the Dropbike website.
Bike-share program benefits
- Reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) and pollution emissions by providing an alternative to vehicle use
- Improves public health and supporting active transportation
- Improves road safety with the addition of bicycles builds vehicle awareness of cyclists
- Increases community mobility through adding an affordable and convenient transportation option
- Decreases vehicle congestion on the roads
- Supports the tourism economy by offering visitors another way to see Kingston
- Demonstrates that Kingston is a city that values innovation, fitness and environmental stewardship.