Social Media Guidelines
The City of Kingston is committed to operating its social media channels effectively in order to communicate and engage residents, employees and other key stakeholders. The following guidelines govern how the City communicates and engages online.
The City of Kingston reserves the right to remove any content, or not respond to communications considered inappropriate, as follows:
- Profane language or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race creed, colour, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Inappropriate sexual content or links to such content;
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public, public systems or employees of the City;
- Personal information or personal health information of others;
- Content that violates legal ownership interests of any other party;
- Express political views;
- Inaccurate or misleading information;
- Commercial endorsements or solicitation;
- Violate the terms bylaws, policies or procedures of the City of Kingston;
- Materials that are owned/copyrighted by the City of Kingston, including but not limited to images, screen shots, video, and any other information unless approved by the Communications and Public Engagement Division of the City of Kingston.
Monitoring social media
Social media channels are monitored intermittently during business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For all time-sensitive requests, please refer to Contact Us by phone at 613-546-0000. Other service requests can be submitted online by visiting CityofKingston.ca/ContactUs.
At the discretion of the City, communication may be redirected to phone or email channels. The reasons for this request would include, but are not limited to, privacy concerns, relevance or amount of detail required to reach a resolution.
Third party content
Content posted by third parties does not represent the views of City of Kingston. The City cannot and does not guarantee users privacy on third party social networking websites, as users are subject to the terms and conditions of the specific application on that website. Users should review and agree to the third party terms and conditions prior to participating.
The City will not be responsible for any losses or damages suffered as a result of using third party social media sites. Those using social media participate at their own risk and for their own benefit, and in so doing accept that they have no right of action against the City related to such use.
By engaging on City of Kingston social media channels, users acknowledge and consent that their comments or messages may become part of the public record and used in official City of Kingston documentation. It is at the City of Kingston's sole discretion as to which comments or messages will be saved to form part of the City's official business records.
A link between the City's social media channels and any other website does not imply an endorsement or sponsorship by the City of Kingston of that website, or the creator of that website.
The City is not responsible for the authenticity or suitability of content posted to its social media channels by other users.
The City of Kingston will adhere to all applicable legislation regarding privacy and freedom of information. City of Kingston is subject to Ontario's Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.56 ("MFIPPA"), as amended and other privacy legislation and users should be aware that personal and other information contained in electronic correspondence (or printed versions thereof) which are directed to the City of Kingston are subject to MFIPPA and may be deemed releasable under this legislation, and that the anonymity or confidentiality of the sender and any information contained within the correspondence cannot be presumed or relied upon.