Social Media Policy
The City of Kingston will include the following provisions where possible and as appropriate on Social Media:
- The City of Kingston is committed to operating its social networking sites as an effective method of communication with interested users. Sites will be monitored during the City of Kingston's regular business hours of Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- While the City of Kingston will make every effort to respond to concerns and questions directed to our Social Media accounts, at our discretion we may request that the discussion be redirected to either our phone or email support channels. The reason(s) for this request would include, but is not limited to, privacy concerns (yours, a fellow resident(s), or employee(s) of the City), character limitations for messages (Twitter), and amount of detail required to resolve a situation.
- It is in the nature of Social Media communications that accuracy and timeliness may not be guaranteed and may not be reliable; as such, users acknowledge that the City of Kingston makes no such guarantees. Further, the City of Kingston is not responsible for the authenticity or suitability of content posted to its Social Media by others.
- The City of Kingston will adhere to all applicable legislation regarding privacy and freedom of information. City of Kingston is subject to Ontario's Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.56 ("MFIPPA"), as amended and other privacy legislation and users should be aware that personal and other information contained in electronic correspondence (or printed versions thereof) which are directed to the City of Kingston are subject to MFIPPA and may be deemed releasable under this legislation, and that the anonymity or confidentiality of the sender and any information contained within the correspondence cannot be presumed or relied upon.
- For the most part, user comments and messages posted to City of Kingston official social networking sites are considered transitory records and will not be kept as a permanent record by City of Kingston. By using City of Kingston Social Media, users acknowledge and consent that their comments or messages may become part of the public record and used in official City of Kingston documentation. It is at the City of Kingston's sole discretion as to which comments will be saved to form part of the City's official business records.
- Images and comments posted by third parties do not necessarily represent the views of City of Kingston. City of Kingston cannot and does not guarantee users privacy on third party social networking websites, as users are subject to the terms and conditions of the specific application on that website. Users should review and agree to the third party terms and conditions prior to participating.
- The City of Kingston will not be responsible for any losses or damages suffered as a result of using third party Social Media sites. Those using Social Media participate at their own risk and for their own benefit, and in so doing accept that they have no right of action against the City of Kingston related to such use.
- A link between the City of Kingston's Social Media sites and any other website does not imply an endorsement or sponsorship by the City of Kingston of that website, or the creator of that website.
- The City of Kingston's Social Media sites are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. The City of Kingston makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the sites' operation or the information, content or materials included on these sites.
Notification Of Changes
The City of Kingston may modify this policy from time to time. If that happens, notification of such changes will be posted along with the latest version of this privacy statement.
Version 2: February 7, 2013
Changes: Added policy point