Open Data Kingston
Explore Open Data Kingston
The new Open Data Kingston portal is now live. The portal allows you to combine, visualize, and explore the City's open data and download it in a variety of formats. All of the existing open datasets plus some new ones are available on the new portal. Questions or feedback? Contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
What downloadable data formats are provided?
With the release of Open Data Kingston we are pleased to offer even more data formats for download including:
- Excel: Microsoft spreadsheet formet
- GeoJSON: An extension to the JSON data format that includes geographic information
- CSV (Comma-Separated Values): A tabular data format typically used in database or spreadsheet applications
- SHP (Shapefile): A spatial data format that can be used in many desktop GIS applications
- KML (Keyhold Markup Language): A spatial data format most often used with Google Maps and Google Earth
We are also pleased to offer an API (beta, subject to change) for direct access to data through programmatic means.
How are datasets selected for the data catalogue?
The City selects the datasets for the data catalogue that meet the following criteria:
- data that is of sufficiently high quality to serve the public interest, with good data management practices already in place;
- data frequently requested by citizens;
- data free of private information;
- data deemed to support Open Government, innovation and economic development
The City is working to improve data management practices to improve its quality, accuracy and collection processes to ensure new and updated data can be released regularly.
Will more public data be available in the future?
Yes. The City is looking for feedback from citizens to determine what should be added to Open Data Kingston. Your opinion matters, so please tell us what types of information you would like to see made available by emailing us.
I don't see the data I'm looking for. Can I request additional datasets?
Yes. Please don't hesitate to contact us to request additional datasets. We promise to review and assess all requests for new data. We will post updates to the Open Data Kingston homepage.
Requests for Open Data are handled under a different process than Freedom of Information requests (MFIPPAA) and are treated on a first-come-first-served basis with no obligation to release the data requested. That said, all requests received will be considered.