A hazardous materials spill may require you to be evacuated or to shelter-in-place. Listen for instructions from local emergency response officials.
- Leave the area and move upwind of the material. If you have to pass through the contaminated area, cover your mouth and nose with a dry cloth or piece of clothing.
- If the event occurs outdoors, move as far away as possible and shelter-in-place. Turn off ventilation.
- If you were near the event, leave the area and remove your outer layer of clothing. Wash yourself with soap and water.
- In some circumstances, it may be necessary to be decontaminated by trained emergency personnel.
- If the event happens indoors, get out of the building without passing through the contaminated area.
- If you feel sick, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
If instructed by emergency response officials to shelter-in-place, do the following:
- Go indoors immediately and stay there.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Turn off the furnace, air conditioners and exhaust systems.
- Listen to your radio and monitor your TV for further instructions.