Content - Residents - Emergency Services - Power Outages
Know who provides your electricity and gas services and keep their phone numbers handy. Always CALL your utility provider to report an issue – never email or Tweet.
Not sure who is providing your power? See this map for guidance.
Utilities Kingston customers
Central Kingston, Barriefield and CFB Kingston
- visit Utilities Kingston's map of reported outages.
- call 613-546-1181 to hear the list of known outages in Utilities Kingston's service area, add your outage if it is not listed and report downed power lines.
- go to Utilities Kingston's Twitter feed for updates.
Hydro One customers
Most people in the west and east ends of Kingston
- visit the storm centre map or download Hydro One's free mobile application to view the status of any planned or emergency power outage and estimated service restoration time.
- call Hydro One's Storm Centre at 1-800-434-1235 for information.
Eastern Ontario Power customers
Kingston Mills and some areas along Middle Road
- call the 24-hour emergency line at 1-844-601-9473 for information.
See the City's power outage safety guidelines
- Evacuate area immediately and call 9-1-1.
- Do not smoke or light matches or lighters.
- Do not use your phone or operate any light switches or electrical devices. Any spark could cause a fire.
For non-emergency calls about your gas services:
- Utilities Kingston customers call 613-546-1181
- Union Gas customers call 1-877-969-0999
Visit Utilities Kingston for more information on gas leaks.
Water and Sewer Issues
If you see water coming up from the ground, experience low water pressure or have no water, call Utilities Kingston 613-546-1181. This may indicate a water main break.
- If there is a concern about drinking water quality, authorities will explain which actions to take, such as boiling water or treating the water.
- If there is a drought, authorities will advise you to conserve water. In the summer, mandatory water restrictions are imposed from June 15 to Sept. 15.
A flooded basement may pose a risk of electrical shock or gas leak. When in doubt, do not enter your home's flooded area. If you are certain you can safely do so, turn off your home's power.
Leave your home immediately if you smell gas and call:
- Utilities Kingston customers - 613-546-1181
- Union Gas customers - 1-877-969-0999
See Utilities Kingston's Basement Flooding page.
Help prevent possible floods by:
- Ensuring your sump pump or sewer backflow valve are in good working order
- Reducing your water use during heavy rainfall
See Utilities Kingston's Flood Facts page.