If your smoke alarm goes off, or if you see fire, remain calm. Do not try to fight a major fire. Call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
For more information visit our Fire Safety and Prevention page.
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Check smoke alarm batteries twice a year (at daylight savings times).
- Prepare an escape plan so you can get out quickly and safely.
In the event of a fire
- Get everyone out immediately.
- If your clothes are on fire, Stop, Drop and Roll while covering your face.
- If you wake up and smell smoke, stay as close to the floor as possible and crawl to the nearest exit. Smoke and heat rise and the air is clearer and cooler near the floor.