Image - Res - Garbage - Recycling Centre - Recycling Depot
DO NOT EDIT - Alert - Facility Closed - Holiday Notice - 6309712
Content - Res - Garbage - Recycling Centre - Recycling Depot
During the COVID-19 pandemic:
Residents are reminded to practice physical distancing - stay 2 metres away from others - while using public depots.
Counter services at the Kingston Area Recycling Centre will be provided electronically.
COVID-19 Hours of Operation:
- Truck scale and the recycling depot: Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Saturdays. Only five cars at a time will be allowed in to enable patrons to maintain 2 metres of physical distance.
The Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC) is where residents and businesses are able to drop off the items listed below.
- excess or oversized recyclables (see details below).
- yard waste including Christmas Trees and other acceptable organic materials.
- household hazardous waste – Thursdays and Saturdays from April through November only.
- Textiles – for donation in bins provided by Diabetes Canada and the Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy.
- single-use batteries – bring to the front office.
- CFL bulbs (no tubes) – bring to the front office.
When you enter KARC, you will be directed to the facility that meets your needs. The recycling depot can be busy at times, please exercise caution when using this facility.
How to drop-off recyclables at KARC
- Vehicles entering KARC to use the recycling facility must first drive on the scales.
- Use the speaker to let the scale operator know what you are bringing in and from where (say if you are a resident or business).
- The scale operator will tell you to proceed to the depot to unload your materials.
- Once you have unloaded your materials, please return to the scales to be weighed out.
There is no charge to residents of Kingston to drop off recyclables.
A fee may apply for business using KARC. Please review the information in our business recycling section, to learn more.
DO drop off these recyclables at KARC
The following materials are accepted year round at KARC:
- Any blue box or grey box materials
- Oversized cardboard
- Oversized white Styrofoam
- Scrap metal
DO NOT bring these items to KARC
The following materials are not accepted at KARC:
- Gift wrap or gift cards (these have too much dye in them and cannot be recycled)
- Styrofoam packing peanuts
- Blue, black, pink and other colours of Styrofoam
- Lawn furniture, laundry baskets, or other oversized plastics
- Electronic waste
- Medications and needles
- Household hazardous waste (unless the Household Hazardous Waste Depot is operating)